Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! I made a huge mess of my computer....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:45 AM

I am new here and thank you for having this site and helpers. a lil back ground about me. I have M.S. and alot of learning issues from it. SO I have a hard time following directions. I made a huge mess.
My computer was running horribly slow. we have the highest package from charter. I dont know is that highest speed. it was running at a snails pace. I have a wireless connection and it is a laptop.
My husband wanted me to do a thingy that made my computer go back a few days system restore. cause he added avast and made things worse. sooo anyways. I did system recovery. It went almost all the way back to factory settings. I just checked and I NOW have 89 window updates. all of my pictures and music are all gone my favorites are gone. all updates are gone. the internet is running a lil bit faster now but everything is gone. is there a way to set it back or is it done for good?
Please help if u can. I dont know what to do. I tried to just make do with what I have. and I tried to update windows and out of 89 updates all of them failed. cause I dont have any resources in the computer. it is still full. sigh. is there any hope? Should I just take it in?
Thanks in advance for the help. my operating system is XP home.
ps. if u want me to take it in. IS there any hope for them to get it back?
Monica

I posted this on this thread too. U know what. there is a snafoo.... I didnt do a restore I did a pc recovery. is there any hope. I did do Recuva and there are like 70,000 files. i dont know what ones to re-add.

Edited by yoyoyomonica, 18 November 2008 - 08:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tweelips

tweelips

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

I did the same thing once. I know there are a lot of programs out there for data recovery. Hopefully that will work for you.

#3 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

you should be able to run the system restore again and "undo" your previous restore.....that should bring you back to where you started.....you might try restoring to a different date......
Posted Image

#4 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

U know what. there is a snafoo.... I didnt do a restore I did a pc recovery. is there any hope. I did do Recuva and there are like 70,000 files. i dont know what ones to re-add.

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

Ok..When you are using your computer(with no programs opened) Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and post processes and CPU/MEMORY usuage

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

Yes, you are correct...you did not do a Windows system restore, you used the system's recovery mechanism.

This should have taken you all the way back to factory settings, I believe.

System manufacturer and model? Then some of us can look up the system and possibly get a handle on your recovery-to-factory-settings mechanism actually works. There is a possibility that your old data is already stored on your hard drive somewhere.

Thanks.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Did you do a Repair Install using a XP disk or a System Recovery, using the disk that came with computer when purchased?

Unfortunately, When you do a recovery with the disks the comes with a retail computer (such as dell) it returns the computer back to the day it left the factory. In other words, everything you had saved is gone

Edited by garmanma, 18 November 2008 - 09:48 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:16 PM

Yes, you are correct...you did not do a Windows system restore, you used the system's recovery mechanism.

This should have taken you all the way back to factory settings, I believe.

System manufacturer and model? Then some of us can look up the system and possibly get a handle on your recovery-to-factory-settings mechanism actually works. There is a possibility that your old data is already stored on your hard drive somewhere.

Thanks.

Louis

I have a compaq presario is that all u need?

#9 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

Did you do a Repair Install using a XP disk or a System Recovery, using the disk that came with computer when purchased?

Unfortunately, When you do a recovery with the disks the comes with a retail computer (such as dell) it returns the computer back to the day it left the factory. In other words, everything you had saved is gone

No I did not use the cd. I did the system recovery under start accesories and system recovery.

#10 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:47 PM

Ok..When you are using your computer(with no programs opened) Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and post processes and CPU/MEMORY usuage

32 processes and 0%

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

You may wish to know this

the package you appear to have with Charter

http://www.charter.com/Visitors/NonProduct...nProductItem=65 seems to include

Anti-Virus- Helps protect your computer against the threat of viruses and worms
Hourly Automatic Updates- Keeps your protection up-to-date for even the newest viruses

this means you do NOT require the additional Avast antivirus

My husband wanted me to do a thingy that made my computer go back a few days system restore. cause he added avast and made things worse. sooo anyways

it would do as it then means the computer has TWO antivirus programs on board which is really NOT a good idea;

do you know IF the Avast is still on board?

#12 yoyoyomonica

yoyoyomonica
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:54 PM

You may wish to know this

the package you appear to have with Charter

http://www.charter.com/Visitors/NonProduct...nProductItem=65 seems to include

Hourly Automatic Updates- Keeps your protection up-to-date for even the newest viruses

this means you do NOT require the additional Avast antivirus

My husband wanted me to do a thingy that made my computer go back a few days system restore. cause he added avast and made things worse. sooo anyways

it would do as it then means the computer has TWO antivirus programs on board which is really NOT a good idea;

do you know IF the Avast is still on board?

YES unfortunatly the avast survived the sys. recovery. I dont know if I should do anything rite now about it with the mess at hand. Should i remove it? IS the charter antivirus sufficient? it probably explains why avg never ran well. I kept telling my hubby that u should not have more then one anti on a computer at one time. He never listens to me about that kind of stuff.

Edited by yoyoyomonica, 18 November 2008 - 05:56 PM.

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

it probably explains why avg never ran well

if this is AVG antivirus (?)
sounds like you have had up to THREE antivirus programs on the computer?

No wonder it feels a bit sick :trumpet:

Can you please see if you have either AVG OR /and Avast still installed?

Can you open System Restore and see if you have a Restore Point prior to avast and AVG being installed?

You do need to get back TO just the ONE antivirus protection on the computer ,which will be with Charter; at present I suspect you have a battle on board between the antivirus programs

this is a classic reason why NOT to install more than one .........they WILL conflict and fight amongst themselves ....................

if you CAN get back to just one it may surely help with the present mess :thumbsup:

Ruby1 edit;
I have a horrid suspicion you are infected but the programs cannot tell you so as they are in conflict with one another ; if you CAN recover to just the ONE antivirus protection and get it updated and run a scan with it , I think this should help you ; we might then know what you ARE dealing with and help you to get clean :flowers:

Edited by ruby1, 18 November 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#14 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

Well, its really make your system unstable..DELETE THEM ALL IMMEDINTALLY .. and use AVIRA PE CLASSIC, or Norton IS 2009

#15 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

Well, its really make your system unstable..DELETE THEM ALL IMMEDINTALLY .. and use AVIRA PE CLASSIC, or Norton IS 2009

with respect

we have the highest package from charter

which provides him with an inbuilt antivirus protection
http://www.charter.com/Visitors/NonProduct...nProductItem=65

Also taking ANY other antivirus program on board, let alone Norton while they are on the Charter and its antivirus protection is a no no especially with Norton's known computer resourse hogging characteristics and will not really help with the bigger picture here
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users