Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advanced Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 purdybread

purdybread

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:09 AM

Hi,

I sat down this morning to clear some spyware from a machine for a friend, a task that I seem to get given quite often these days :thumbsup:

The only difference this time is that he has bought and registered "Advanced Antivirus"

My question is how serious is this? does he have a high risk that his card will be used again for fraud?

I dont want to scare him but should he cancel his card?

TIA

P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:06 AM

Hi,

Use the instructions here to remove Advanced Antivirus.

I would tell you friend to speak to his card company/bank and inform them that his details have fallen into the wrong hands, they may keep an eye on the account to watch for any fraudulent activity or just cancel the card altogether and issue a replacement. Do This Immediately - even if they didn't use his details its better to be safe than sorry!
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 purdybread

purdybread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:24 AM

OK, Thanks for the reply.

Cleaned as per instructions

I will advise him to contact back, Always better to be cautious when it comes to money I suppose :thumbsup:

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:17 AM

I will advise him to contact back, Always better to be cautious when it comes to money I suppose :thumbsup:

The way i see it in this case is if you advise him of the possible dangers and make him aware who could have access to his details and therefore money, it is then his responsibility what actions he takes on that information. Im sure he's sensible enough to take the needed actions.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users