Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer randomly shuts down and restarts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:05 AM

Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the correct forum as I wasn't quite sure which one to put this under. Anyway, I have IE (How do I find out what version?), and I have Windows Vista (Again, how do I find out what version I have?). I will be reading blogs, visiting websites, typing on my own blog, etc. and IE will radomly close and immediately restart. The only message that I'm getting is, "IE has encountered a problem and needs to close." As for anti-virus protection, I have Spy Sweeper, and I run it every one to two days, and I always quarantine everything that shows up. I haven't downloaded anything new that I can think of as far as programs go. I have downloaded digital scrapbooking kits, but they are all from the same company, one that I definitely trust, and I've been downloading from them long before I started having this problem. I guess that's all. If there is anything else I can do to help solve the problem, please let me know.

Thanks so much!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WyattEarp

WyattEarp

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:53 AM

Hi Luvkitty

To find your version of Internet Explorer...go to the Help Tab.."About Internet Explorer"

To find your Edition of Vista go to Start...Right-Click on Computer and select Properties...also note if Service Pack 1 is installed.

Cheers

#3 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

IE has a habit of doing that but not usually very often. It usually does so when it encounters difficulty rendering the code from some page that is incorrectly coded (I think). In your case, it may be encountering errors more frequently if you patronize certain web sites frequently and they have errors on them. You could try another browser like FireFox which is much more tolerant of sloppy code.

But, some sites want to only see IE or, if you like IE and want to continue with it, make sure it, and your copy of Vista, are completely up to date. If you don't have Windows Update configured for automatic updates, you should run it at least weekly.

Regarding security and anti-virus, Spyware Sweeper is not an anti-virus program and as a security system it is inadequate by itself. If you like the product, you should be using something like "Webroot Internet Security Essentials" from the same company. At a minimum, you should have something like "Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware" from the same company. Both of these packages include Spyware Sweeper plus additional security functions.

Edited by chimo79, 18 November 2008 - 08:58 AM.

#4 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:45 AM

WyattEarp- Thank you for the help on finding out my version of IE and Vista.

My Internet Explorer is version 7, and I have Windows Vista Home Premium. As for Service Pack 1, I think I have it because it's listed underneath Windows Edition. I noticed that there is also a blue link that says, "Upgrade Windows Vista." Should I click that?

Chimo79- Thank you for the advice about the possibility switching to Firefox. Also, you suggested that I make sure that I have Windows Update configured to update automatically. I think I do, but how do I make sure?

As for the Spyware Sweeper, I went to MY PROGRAMS, right-clicked on Spy Sweeper, and clicked on PROPERTIES. It says: Target: Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeperIU.exe"
I did the same thing again, but this time it was a right-click on Webroot. There wasn't a Target this time, but there was a file folder icon, and the word Webroot was written next to it. Under that, it says, "Type: File Folder"

So, does this mean that I have more than the Spyware Sweeper like you suggested?

And, back to my original problem of IE closing and restarting several times a day. If Vista and IE are updated, is there anything else to do to solve the problem besides switching to Firefox? Oh, and how do I make sure the IE is updated?

Okay, I think that's it, LOL. Thanks again for the help.

Michele

#5 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

Also, you suggested that I make sure that I have Windows Update configured to update automatically. I think I do, but how do I make sure?

Go to Start - Windows Update and click on it. If you don't find Windows Update on the Start Menu, open your Control Panel (it should be on the right side of the Start Menu) and double click on Windows Update. When Windows Update comes up, look near the centre of the window and it should tell you what settings you have for updates. If you want to change any of them, you can do so by clicking the link near the upper left of the window. You should make sure your system installs updates at a time when your system will likely be on or that you regularly do it manually.

So, does this mean that I have more than the Spyware Sweeper like you suggested?

No, I don't believe it does. Actually, had you left clicked on the Webroot folder, that would have shown the programs inside the folder and it may be that you have more in there but I doubt it. It is unlikely that the presence or absence of an anti-virus program has anything to do with this problem unless you have picked up a virus. I doubt this is the case since a virus usually will generate a lot more difficulties than you are seeing. You should have a good AV program as well as a firewall regardless.

If Vista and IE are updated, is there anything else to do to solve the problem besides switching to Firefox?

You could look back at the causes of the failures and that might tell you something. Go to your Control Panel and open the 'Administrative Tools'. Double click on 'Reliability and Performance Monitor'. When this utility comes up, it comes up in the 'Resource Overview showing graphs of how much you are using of the CPU, Memory, Network, disk I/O and these are moving graphs that are interesting to watch while you make your system do things like surf the web. They won't tell us much about the current problem. On the left of the window, select 'Reliability Monitor'. This is much more interesting. You should see a graph with a black line graphing reliability over several days. This line should be up near 10 (lets say 8 to 10). Yours might be substantially lower. Beneath the graph will be 5 classes of problems that have caused the graph to be less than 10. There is one column for each day. Pick any day where there seems to be several problems and select it (click on it). This will expand the lower lines to show what types of failures you had that day. You are interested in all of them but in particular, the Application Failures called iexplore.exe and the Failure Type. The Failure Type may simply say "Stopped Responding" which doesn't tell much but, OTOH it may say something interesting and helpful. Look also at all failures or problems and you might get an idea of what is wrong. Ideally, there should be zero failures on any given day.

If all this doesn't help, try running IE with no add-ons, Do this by Start - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer(No Add-ons). If you can run like that for long enough to confirm your problems are caused by an Add-on, you can start removing Add-ons one at a time.

Oh, and how do I make sure the IE is updated?

IE is updated as part of Windows Vista and at the same time (Windows Update).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users