Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

redirect search

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deejen

deejen

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:45 AM

i windows xp and and when I search I get search that dont really make sense also I ried to do a system restore and it wont let me go to a previous save point

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:08 AM

Hi deejen,

Please download and install CCleaner. Allow it to install to the default setting. This will remove all your temporary internet files, logs, cookies and history. If you use your history, uncheck this item before you run it.

Once installed open the program and click on the Run Cleaner button in the lower right-hand corner without having changed anything else. You will get a warning that this will permanently delete files. Confirm this and allow it to run.

CCleaner is a free tool and can be downloaded here: http://www.ccleaner.com/download

After you finish running CCleaner, download and install Spybot S&D and MalwareBytes and allow them to run. Have them fix anything they find.

For Spybot, see these two links: [*]Spybot - Search & Destroy - Tutorial: Using Spybot S&D

MalwareBytes can be downloaded here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

#3 deejen

deejen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:35 PM

did all you suggested seems better, thank you

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:07 AM

Hi deejen,

Did MalwareBytes find anything? If your computer was infected, which it sounded like, then the tools I gave you help to begin with, but it would be better for your computer to do a few more scans to make sure. I will give you some suggestions for scans below, but first the following note about Java.

Computers are made more vulnerable by having old software on them, for instance old Java versions. You can check this easily by going to add-remove programs. Look for the versions of Java or J2SE in your list. The current version of Java is Java ™ 6 Update 10. The others are outdated and should be removed. Some of the older versions which need to be uninstalled look like this:

Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3.1_04
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 5
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6
Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
Java™ 6 Update 4

If you found you didn't have the current version, you need to REBOOT your computer after uninstalling any old versions (those which aren't Java ™ 6 Update 10. Then go to Current Java Download to download and install the most recent version. It's important to reboot your computer after you uninstall any old versions or the new one won't install properly.

After you make sure your Java is updated, please run the following scans. If they find anything bad, make a note of the file names they find and then have them remove or fix whatever they find:

The following two are free online scans:

BitDefender <--- you may need to run this with Internet Explorer with Active X enabled, rather than using one of the other browsers

McAfee - virus, security and Wi-Fi scanners, under "Free Services"

This below program is a free antispyware program like MalwareBytes which you run after installation. It's not something that will interfere with your current antivirus or other spyware programs and it picks up things other scans don't:

SuperAntiSpyware - link to a direct download of the Free version

Let me know if you are able to do any of the above and how it goes.
Zllio

#5 deejen

deejen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:29 AM

MalwareBytes did find a few things, I got the latest java , couldnt run bit defender ,ran Mcafee which found C:\Documents and Settings\...\cfd.exe Adware-BJCFD
C:\SDFix\apps\Process.exe PrcViewer
will do last one later this morning

#6 deejen

deejen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

ran superantispyware and quarentined items, questions which of these downloads would you consider a good thing to keep, I have an older computer and so not as much hard drive and memory

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

Hi deejen,

It happens that some of the anti-spyware programs recognize each other as malware. It is because of the way these programs function, that they are considered dangerous by other anti-malware programs.

Check add-remove programs. I believe that SuperAntispyware is the one which takes quite a bit of space. I like to use MalwareBytes manually on a weekly basis and also recommend Spyware Blaster. Additionally, I keep Spybot S&D and use the immunize feature. You should have an antivirus program. Two free ones are Antivir and Avast and both are excellent. Also, you need a firewall.

There are some good recommendations here: How did I get infected

Zllio

#8 deejen

deejen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:06 AM

I have avg free and nod32 and a firewall, thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic