Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

restore from backup made before i reinstalled vista

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thommm

thommm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:39 AM

hello helpfull person!
here's what happened- i had my hard disk of my fujitsu-siemens esprimo-mobile laptop (75GB) split up into 2 30GB sections and one small section that i set aside 2 put ubuntu on (linux) which i was playing around with b4. i wanted 2 have one large section tho instead of 2 small ones, so i reinstalled vista (home basic), which let me reformat the HD, and now i have vista on a 65GB section, and no ubuntu (yet). i had made a backup of my picture music and document files with the backup wizard. now i want 2 restore from that backup, and so i choose "advanced restore" coz otherwise it will tell me "there are no backups availabe on this computer". in the next screen the only option is already highlighted- "files from a backup made on a different computer" so i go on with that, it then looks for backup locations and i select the external hard disk where i put it. i then see 2 backups i made at different dates- i choose one, and then it says in the "backup location" column that "backup location is not available"- i still have the option 2 choose "next" tho, so i do, and then i can choose individual files (can't get that 2 work, and don't want 2 either coz i actualy want all the files 2 b restore) or restore everything in the back up, so i check that box, and go on and tell the wizard 2 put it in a file on the C disk seeing as the original location dissapeared when i reinstalled vista... (and that option doesn't work either)
it then tries 2 do something,i hear the external disk buzzing, but then the wizard tells me "the restore did not finish succesfully" with an error code that says "the backup file could not be found, check hardware configuration, or restore from a different back up. (0x8100001A)" and all i can choose then is 2 "finish"...
with another program like "memeo autosync" which came with the exteral disk (WD mybook, 320GB or something like that) i can see all the files in like 140 zipped files, which i can put on t hte pc, but then have 2 unzip 1by1... if i could get all the files within their original subfolders i would b very happy.
hope someone can help!
tom.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:34 AM

It sounds like the original backup did not complete successfully and it looks like that may have been because the external disk became full. Possibly the backup routine was asking you to mount the next disk and you either didn't notice or could not do so because you didn't have another disk. In any case, I would start by restoring a single file then make sure you can unzip it. If that works ok, I would use the individual file option and that probably allows you to select a whole group of files. When they are all restored (or as much as you can), your unzip function will (i think) allow you to use a wild card unzip to unzip all files with a single command.

#3 thommm

thommm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:59 AM

hi chimo- thanks 4 the reply! it can't b i ran out of space tho, my external hard disk (not cd's) is 320GB, and the 2 backups i have were the first time i used the external disk. in the meantime i lost hte most recent backup- coz i used a sync program 2 sync the ex disk with the pc (created file on desktop) , saw that it only gives me 140zip files, so i erased the folder on the desktop, and the sync program then kept going (once u start it it does that) and erased the backup off hte ex disk 2 sync it... so i have a monthandahalf old backup, thankGod, and now i want 2 put that on the pc. i'll try 2 restore a single file, but i dont' think that works. i can put the zip files on the pc, but hten i have 2 unzip them all and put them all in2 their places... which is the last resort option. i'll get back 2 u, if u have any tips in the mean time, it's much appreciated! tom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users