Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I/net Explorer & Favourites very slow to open

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snedbo

snedbo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

By stopping "opwareSE2.exe" from running, problem appeares to be fixed. What is the task of this file? What are the side effects of stopping it? How do I remove it from start-up?

Edited by snedbo, 18 November 2008 - 12:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

It is part of ScanSoft software. It likely came with your scanner and is part of the Optical Character Recognition function. It does not need to be running unless you are scanning but a virus or spyware can be named anything so you should do a good scan of your system. See this page: http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/opwarese2/

#3 snedbo

snedbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thanks chimo79.
Good to know. But, how do I remove opwareSE2 from startup?
Cheers
snedbo

#4 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

It is probably starting as part of some application. I would, as a start, start up Windows Defender. In the 'Tools' tab, you are presented with several tools. Click on 'Software Explorer' and then make sure the presented dropdown box is set to 'Startup Programs'. Scroll down the programs on the left side and look for anything that looks like scanner software. If you find something that looks like a likely candidate, select it (click on it). You will be presented with the manufacturer and if you find that it is from ScanSoft, simply 'Disable' it with the button at the bottom and reboot.

If this solves your problem, you should look for a better way than a simple WD disable. Run the application and see if there is a configuration setting within the application that will turn off the startup with Windows. If you don't want the application at all, use the application Uninstall or the Control Panel - Programs and Features utility to remove the application entirely. If all this fails, go back into WD and rather than the 'Disable' function, use the 'Remove' button. This does not remove the application but rather simply removes it from the startup stream.

Edited by chimo79, 18 November 2008 - 05:21 PM.

#5 snedbo

snedbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

chimo79
Thank you for your advise. I seem to have it all working great now. Could not stop the application from 'start up' within itself though (CanoScan) so have to be satisfied with doing it through WD.
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users