Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Overheating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

Okay, So the 400w powersupply in my rig died on me, so temporarily replaced it with a 200w dell p/o/s. Anytime I work on my computer i take my video card out, incase of a static shock or what not. I noticed this last time theres a plastic film over the heatsink fan assembly of my card, that says DO NOT USE CARD UNTIL REMOVING PLASTIC that i neve noticed(mind you Ill have the card a year in March, and the film was never a problem) So repsectively I took the film off.. Now all of a sudden my GPU tempereatures(as read by Everest Ultimate Edition), are fluxuating very high, as well as my CPU somewhat. My GPU usually runs at an idle 100-115degrees(fan speeds are controlled by card). And my CPU is usually around 100 or less at idle with CPU and case fans at half speed(using Fan Controller). Right now, all I have open is Limewire and this window and my GPU is at 138, and 111...The most I ever saw since this problem started is 174 on the GPU, and 169 on the CPU, in which I immediately shut down and let it cool off. I checked all my fans(CPU and GPU) and theyre all fine. Could it be that the 200w PS cant power my rig therefore fans arent gettings enough power? These are the specs

2.4ghz P4 HT 800mhz FSB
AsRock P4VM890 MoBo
1024mb Kingston RAM
80gb Seagate Barracuda SATA
20gb WD Caviar IDE
Nvidia Geforce 8500gt

Any help in gettin these temps down is greatly appretiated.

Edited by Johnny Boy, 17 November 2008 - 10:46 PM.

Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:36 AM

Do you still have the 200W PSU? If so get a 350W or even a 400W because you are not supplying enough power to the computer. Then we can better diagnose your problem.
CompTIA A+ certified

#3 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

I am using the 200w until I get my new one. But is power why..because if power isnt causing it,it really dosent matter how big my ps is?
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#4 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:28 PM

Well we know the the PSU is certainly not strong enought for the system so that there show's that it could be part of the problem so to isolate the problem or even fix it we need to find one. Now the link between the issue and the PSU could be that the PSU has insuficient power to juice both the components and the fans. I know my GPU runs around 52C when I'm gaming and I have a geforce 8600GT so you should be running cooler.

This might sound a little redundant but did you block the vents on your case when you put everything back? I think it's a cooling issue with the fans maybe they are not running at the indicated speed due to the lack of power?

Tell me your results cheers!
Lyph

Edited by Ellypho, 18 November 2008 - 05:30 PM.

CompTIA A+ certified

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users