Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with ad-hoc/internet connection problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eeeasytiger

eeeasytiger

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

Okay I'm not exactly sure if this is the right section to post this in (this is my first post on this site).

I have recently set up an ad-hoc connection between my desktop computer and my laptop computer and everything was fine and I was sharing internet connection between computers with no troubles at all. However, it started to disconnect me from the internet all together and I have figured out that disconnecting the ad hoc connection and then reconnecting fixes the problem and I am once again able to connect to the internet again. I've never had this problem before and I was wondering if there's something in particular that I have to do to permanently fix this issue. My desktop is connected to the internet through cable and I just don't understand how when the ad hoc connection goes out that the entire internet connection goes out including the desktop's. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated and again, I am sorry if this is the wrong section to post in, I'm a noob user at this point haha.

Also, I'm not a genius on computers but I do know my fair share of stuff so please don't get annoyed if I ask you what you mean if you ask me a technical question about something, however, please don't hesitate to get technical =P

Thank you to whoever succeeds/attempts to help out!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

You will probably get better answers in the Web browsing/Internet forum.

Would a mod please move this?

#3 eeeasytiger

eeeasytiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

do whatever you need to do, move it, whatever, im just lookin for some help seeing as how this is like the 8th computer "help" forum i've posted in with not a single person willing to help lol.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Don't worry, the mods here are very generous and understanding of novice computer users =) . You are in good hands. If a mod doesn't move this by tomorrow night and you still havent received a response, you could try creating a new topic in the place I suggested earlier. But you should receive many replies once people wake up in the morning/get off work. :thumbsup:

#5 shockwaveaz

shockwaveaz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

I can help you out, Can you give me some more information though. Does it do it after a set amount of time? What version of xp/sp are you running? Did you check the even log? How are you disconnecting the connection for the workaround that you have been doing?

John

#6 eeeasytiger

eeeasytiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

It does this at random intervals actually. I'm running XP home SP3, not quite sure how to check event logs, and when I disconnect I "view available wireless networks," click the connections, disconnect the ad hoc connection, then I reconnect it when it has completely DC'd, then after that, I am able to press "refresh" on my browser and load the page that dropped, messengers load up, ventrilo, etc etc. It's just really weird that the ENTIRE internet connection is affected by the ad hoc connection disconnecting, when it should only be throwing my laptop offline.

PS. Thank you so much for you're reply, this is the first out of eight sites that I've posted on that actually received a response. I guess now a days you gotta spam the forums to raise your post count to actually be "heard" hahaha.

EDIT: I checked the event logs, nothing out of the ordinary. I don't think it registers the errors...like maybe the connection is just imbalanced or something? I have no idea.

Edited by eeeasytiger, 18 November 2008 - 05:43 PM.

#7 shockwaveaz

shockwaveaz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

SP3! Thats good there is a known bug with ICS and a hot fix maybe this is your problem I would give this a try. http://support.microsoft.com/KB/951830 It is not part of the regular update so just download and run

#8 eeeasytiger

eeeasytiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

SP3! Thats good there is a known bug with ICS and a hot fix maybe this is your problem I would give this a try. http://support.microsoft.com/KB/951830 It is not part of the regular update so just download and run

Thank you so much, I'm going to download this plug-in right now. I appreciate it greatly, you have no idea!!!

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

post back with the results

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users