Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why hallo thar

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kefka

Kefka

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

Intro thread!

Came here looking to get help with my own PC after helping a relative clean their computer... I thought my own PC was clean after a scare the other week, but I finally got around to running Kaspersky's online scan, and it has found 3 threats and 4 objects in the first 20% of scanning - and taken almost an hour so far...

When it's done, I'll be posting a thread in the ...hmm, which forum should I post in? "Am I infected? What do I do?" seems like the best bet... Confirmation would be great.

Anyhow, a little background info... Running XP SP2, am very computer literate and have a decent grasp of security (mid way through PhD in computer science, bachelor in internet computing with minor in computer security) - I've been pretty good at avoiding viruses until now, but recently got one on a thumb drive when I used a university staff PC... Guess you can't trust any computer these days!

This Kaspersky scan sure does take a while.
Anyhow, I'll wait until this is done and post the results... I've got ComboFix, RSIT, Flash Disinfector, HijackThis and ATF-Cleaner installed from my original cleaning attempt. I normally use AVG's free version as my virus scanner - have disabled it at the moment for Kaspersky to do its scanning. Assuming you just need to disable the Resident Shield component in order for it to count as disabled.

Cheers,
Kefka

Edited by Kefka, 17 November 2008 - 09:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer :flowers:

"Am I infected? What do I do?" --> Yes thats the best place to start. Good Luck!
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:14 PM

Welcome to BC!

#4 nigglesnush85