Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how many rpms should a wounderful hard drive have?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 red_xiii 420

red_xiii 420

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

im looking at these and am woundering if its worth buying one over 7200 rpm due to the high costs of anything higher. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompa...N82E16822148301 , I mainly will use it for downloading and videogames.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

Dont worry about what you have for storage. You will want a 7200 RPM but they are pretty standard so dont worry about what size you get as it will only store data and not speed anything up.

Here is what I feel you should have in disk space

Office user: 80gigs
Basic Home user: 40gigs
Power User: 250 Gigs
Heavy gamer: 160gigs

You would fit in the power user section. Anything above that and im assuming you are hosting a radio station or are google :thumbsup:
CompTIA A+ certified

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:26 PM

Most drives that have an RPM over 7200 generally have lower capacity. If you plan on storing lots of stuff, you want hard disk with lots of space. The size recommendations listed above are, in my opinion, minimum capacities. I have a 750 GB disk half filled with large pictures, high-quality movies, and music ripped in Lossless. I have two other, smaller drives. My C: contains Vista and all of my applications. It is a 320 GB drive and has about half left. The third drive is 320 GB and has been partitioned for Kubuntu and to provide for extra free space if I need it.

3939.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:20 AM

The price of a 500GB drive right now...http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014%20103530113&bop=And&Order=PRICE

If a 500GB drive goes for $60, it's foolish to even consider buying a smaller one...and, once your interests involve video, hard drive space disappears very rapidly. And you will eventually move in that direction :thumbsup:.

That's where I would start.

And I would get another...for backups. I don't believe in backing up to the same disk my O/S is on, I prefer to slightly lessen my chances for a personal disaster if one drive goes out.

Louis

#5 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

I always thought i was a space mongere O.o
CompTIA A+ certified

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85