Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone help people who post in the Am I Infected? Forum?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

Can any user help or no?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:51 PM

It is preferable that those who help have a working knowledge of the processes and procedures for that forum. That the answers they give are complete and accurate. A reply such as " Try this <insert random link here> it worked for me." Is not an acceptable reply to a request for help. Bleeping Computer has a level of service that our members come to expect.

So the answer is not a simple yes or no. It's more of, we expect those who help, to maintain a standard of excellence in the assistance they render to those who need it. Those who help are members in good standing of Bleeping Computer. They are usually members have developed a level of trust with the staff and membership. I hope this helps you understand how that particular forum works.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

Does that mean that users don't have to be in a particular group in order to help?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

Correct, however all users responses as assistance, are subject to review for quality and accuracy. Those replies that are questionable or incomplete are subject to edit or deletion, at any staff members discretion without further notification, as per existing forum rules.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

Can I help out if I give out clear and proper instructions?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

If you have read my replies to your questions, what do you think? I've laid out the guidelines expected of everyone.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:45 PM

If you browse the 'Am I Infected' Section of this site you can learn a lot from the threads and the way people get infected; we are asked NOT to reply to any thread with an HJT log in it but to merely post a link TO it in the
Misplaced HJT log section

There is a MASSIVE variety of problems IN the 'Am I Infected Section'; it is worth looking through them to see which you feel comfortable replying to and are within your knowledge and skills, and those which you really need to leave to an Expert

If in doubt, leave the thread for someone else :thumbsup:

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

There is an updated reponse to the rules for that area here...How do I get help? Who is helping me?

Edited by boopme, 28 November 2008 - 02:25 PM.
spelling

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:56 PM

Thanks, boopme.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

Very welcome Lloyd T :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users