Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Uninstall SBC Yahoo Online Protection Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eDrummer

eDrummer

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:45 PM

Hey All,

I'm new here and looking for a fix for an uninstall issue.

I am helping a friend clean up their computer and in going through their system I found four (count 'em four) antivirus progs running and three firewalls. I am going to install a nice, light antivirus (probably AVG) and just let them use the Windows Firewall (they're behind a router). Any way I was able to uninstall all the unnecessary software except for SBC Yahoo Online Protection (SYOP). It's not in Add/Remove Progs and I can't find an uninstall file anywhere on the drive.

There are no processes running for it and as of now the only indication I have that it exists is that the Windows Security Center is telling me that SYOP is reporting that it's turned off and there's a folder at C:/Program Files/Yahoo/Antivirus (no uninstall file there, just other stuff).

Can anyone give me a suggestion on completely wiping this prog? I tried Windows Install Cleanup, wasn't even in the list.

Thanks!
eDrummer

PS. the system is
*Windows XP SP2
*P4 2.2G
*256MB RAM (I'm fixing that)

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Well...if there is no process reflected...how do you know that it's even installed...now?

It may have been installed at some time...and then removed. Many uninstalls of software leave orphans behind, often reflected as startup items. When the trigger to run the application tries to work...the result is an error message regarding a program that is no longer existent.

Anything to do with SBC/Yahoo should be in the base folder.

If it is only an orphan startup item, you can find it and delete it by using AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Logon tab only, leave the others alone.

Louis

#3 eDrummer

eDrummer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

Thanks Louis! I'll try that.

#4 drabble

drabble

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

Can anyone give me a suggestion on completely wiping this prog? I tried Windows Install Cleanup, wasn't even in the list.

Sure, it's in add/remove programs buried under AT&T Yahoo group heading. It's buried there. You'll find it.

#5 eDrummer

eDrummer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions but nothing has worked yet. As of right now the Windows Security Center says "SBC Yahoo Online Protection reports that it is turned off" and when I try to install AVG it tells me at the top of the install that there is another AV prog installed and that I should uninstall it first.

I didn't find an AT&T group in Add/Remove Progs but there was an SBC group that let me uninstall the SBC browser, parental controls and other stuff but there was no AV listed.

So I'm thinking that there's an orphaned file somewhere that's telling the system that there is an AV installed but there really isn't.

Any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users