Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Build For Science Fair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

So,

Some kids in the Family have asked me about building a PC for the Science for or just for the experience of it. I've been in a support role for
some time and I love to challenge myself when it comes to technology. This is something new however. I've helped anyone through the complete
process of building a pc and explaining why each part is important.

I'm asking two things here:

1) What hardware recommendations would you make for a first Build for kids between 13 to 18?

2) What things should I focus on as a basis for teaching them how a computer works?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Feel free to go into any aspect that relates to educational or phylisophical
aspects of building a pc.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I would build them a basic system with something like a P4 and a geforce 6400 and get basic speakers, mouse and keyboard. You will also need 40-80 gigs of space anymore and you are wasting alot of space. This setup will keepup with the latest software for a good price.

You know what else to get from there with what I have mentioned so ATX motherboard 350W PSU DVD drive.

As for what to teach, I would teach them the basics of operating systems, such as win vista,winxp, win2k and a linux distro. Too many times have I heard someone say I have a good computer because it has windows Xp or rather the newer trend being Vista. Also show them the basics about heat and how everything in the comp is connected to the mobo and the logist of how they interact with one another. That dosent mean talking about IRQ'S and DMA's but talk about bridges and what does what. Have a happy build :thumbsup:.

I think the price of everything should be around 350$ if you geta screen.

Oh and remember to tell them that Bill Gates is evil and so is Steve Jobs :huh:
CompTIA A+ certified

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

As a teaching tool...anything would work.

In fact, it would probably be a better teaching tool to use as old a motherboard/CPU combination as can be reasonably found...because it would enable them to come to understand how much things have changed (and will continue to change) in just a few years.

We were more creative when we did our grade school Science Fair projects eons ago...we did a volcano, using papier mache and chemicals :thumbsup:.

...be inexpensive. Go AMD rather than Intel, DDR2 rather than DDR or DDR3. Remember that it's a school project.

Louis

#4 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

I dont know I've seen some old k-9 amd processors sell for 50$ whereas a PIII would sell for 5$ :thumbsup:
Are they going to use this computer?

Edited by Ellypho, 17 November 2008 - 09:17 PM.

CompTIA A+ certified

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

Ellypho

I dont know I've seen some old k-9 amd processors sell for 50$ whereas a PIII would sell for 5$
Are they going to use this computer?

I think they will get more out of this if they plan to use it a bit. Good point.

Hamluis

We were more creative when we did our grade school Science Fair projects eons ago...we did a volcano, using papier mache and chemicals

This is true, maybe I'll have to involve water cooling. J/K Maybe a case mod couldn't hurt for creativity points.

This is great stuff. If anyojne has more insight, post away

Edited by RandomUser, 17 November 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#6 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

Have a look at the build chronicles I put together last year when I took on the task of building a PC all by myself for the very first time. Here is the link to the thread I put up at dpreview.com:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...7261&page=1

Maybe this will give you some inspiration.

Regards.

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users