Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Legality of dual booting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hello World!

I have a question for you all. I'm reading my A+ book and it talk's about dual booting and having to install the software on both OSes so I have a concern about the legality of this. Is it legal to install for instance MSword on both OSes that are dual booting on the same system. So example I have both win2k and winXP and I give both of them the same copy of Photoshop or Office would this be legal?

Cheers Lyph
CompTIA A+ certified

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

If you read the EULA for most programs...I think that you will see something to the effect that the user is authorized to install said software on one system.

I see no legalities involved in dual-booting...but I have severe myopia :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Ellypho

Ellypho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

Haha I guess your right. Does seem like something that would need clarification
CompTIA A+ certified

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

I believe it is perfectly legal, it limited to the number of machines, not the number of OS's on that machine.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#5 Ellypho

Ellypho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

I believe it is perfectly legal, it limited to the number of machines, not the number of OS's on that machine.

maybe i should call ms :thumbsup:
CompTIA A+ certified

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

This is why lawyers get paid so much :thumbsup: EULA's are complicated and their terms aren't clear to mere mortals (I got in trouble for telling lawyer jokes on another forum). Also, each EULA is different, so the answer for MS Office can be very different for the answer for Photoshop.

I've found that, as long as you're not trying to get something for free, most software companies are reasonable when it comes to this sort of situation. BUT, if the software has built in activation/authentication routines - then it may not let you use it on both OS's

I'd suggest trying it out. If it doesn't work, then you can always resort to our list of Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Applications ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

It all depends upon the EULA for your particular version of software whether this will be legal or not. Begin installing it and just actually read the EULA (how many of us have actually done that????) :thumbsup: It might be for one computer, and it might be for one installation on that one computer.

I once installed Windows twice on the same computer, thinking I could use the second instance (on a second partition) to boot the computer and get to my files in case the first instance went to pot. But then I saw the EULA said it was good for one instance on one computer. So, it really depends.

EDIT: grammer.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 30 November 2008 - 10:05 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Ellypho

Ellypho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

Yeah i suppose
CompTIA A+ certified

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:33 PM

Same discussion a couple of threads down
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/182979/dual-boot-and-running-programs/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users