Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP - Multiple Issues

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Hey all!

Sorry the title wasn't more complete, its a pretty long list. Basically I've noticed recently :

1. "-----.exe failed to run correctly" Basically the application, regardless of what it is, fails, and will do so for about 15 attempts until it runs. Word, MSN, Games, the works do this.
2. Internet slow down. Serious slow down. (Am on a University network though, so possibly just the quality doing a belly-flop.)
3. Music skipping, i.e Any given track will have something that sounds like static, or the song playing very slowly/jerkily every so often.
4. Other processing being slow at times. I.e Virus scanners will respond to no commands, and then suddenly begin working as normal.

I figured it could be an infection of some kind. I don't pirate anything, and I've not downloaded anything suspect.

Running Windows XP, ZoneAlarm, AVG and Ad-aware.

Also : When the music skips, everything does. Mouse movement, anything video like etc. Its like the whole PC just has a bit of a cough.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wolsno

wolsno

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

When it is slow take a look at task manager and see what percentage of your cpu is being used. Also see if you can identify any processes that are using a lot of memory - you can google this for individual processes if you can't identify any of them and to get a feel for what is normal. Post again if you need more help.

PS: University networks go through periods of heavy use so some speed variance is normal. There are speed test sites where you can get measure your connection speed - these sites vary widely depending on where they are and other factors but if you do a few tests at different times of day and keep notes you'll have something to compare to when you notice a slow down.
Try the one at speakeasy.net and pick the closest city to you.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

You can also look thru this guide..Slow Computer/browser? Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware.

And for a malware scan you can run MBAM,post the log and we'll be glad to look at it.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:26 AM

Hey, MBAM completed and found no malicious items.

I've run through the link about system slow downs and I use a lot of those things anyway (CCleaner, Checking Process, keeping startup clean.)

Also, regarding the first reply, I've checked. There are no spikes in process use, nor any new processes appear when it slows down. Also there are no non-essential processes running via Task Manager, certainly nothing virus/spywarey. Only thing that is non-essential is one of my background CD burning update programs.

Thanks for the help. I'll tell you how it looks after a defrag.

#5 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

Alright. It still does it.

Please help :S

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Perhaps a Repair install not Full install will correct this?
Probably the best tutorial on this is... How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

Regretably, reinstalling XP is not an option.

Still getting symptoms, also my desktop dissapears (all the icons and start bar), refreshes one by one every so often.

No idea whats going on.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

OK lets try 2 other scans
Kaspersky
Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

SAS
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

#9 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:50 AM

The first online scanner has found nothing, and I am yet to do the second.

Could it be anything else?

I'm still experiencing everything.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

I think if this doesn't improve things dramatically we will head you to the HJT team.
Its not unusual to receive such an error after using specialized fix tools.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click HERE if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

#11 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

You misunderstand, its not one single file that cannot be found, and its not just on startup.

Things I've had are IE, Mozilla Firefox, MSN, WMP, basically anything, and it does not just happen on startup. Nothing will run, everything will give me application errors for about thirty seconds, then everything runs fine again.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

Perhaps aRepair install or let the HJT look deeper inside themachine. We can help you along with either of these.

#13 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:30 PM

Either or, really.

Everything that can help is fine with me, many thanks.

#14 Arnold Pattern

Arnold Pattern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:14 AM

Hi, I'm still about. If anyone could help me with what was suggested above in boopme's post, or anything else that you might think will help.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

Hi,sorry you got lost. Take a look at the Repair install here as it is probbly the best one there is. repair install will not cure a malware issue if that still exists,though I doubt it. A Full wipe of the Hard drive and reinstall will fix both. But the full will erase all files on the drive.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users