Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP problems: brastk, karna, delself, beep.sys

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dougshade

Dougshade

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

I have been reading all day trying to find a solution, and I've found several situations that are similar to mine, but not exactly the same. I'm researching from another PC - the one with the problem can't access the web properly. I was shopping online, and I got a couple of warning windows that disappeared too quickly to read and then everything locked up except mouse/cursor movement. No blue screen, nothing looked out of the ordinary. I tried ctrl/alt/del which didn't work, and waited to see if a process was hung up, and eventually I had to hold the power button to shut down. I've restarted several times and it is still locked, the only clues I had were the red circle/white X in the tray, and a new "delself" icon (which eventually led me here). Everything else starts up and looks exactly as before, and the cursor moves, but I can't click or use the keyboard for anything so I have to shut down by cutting power. I am able to start in safe mode, and I can access the web, but my homepage has changed to google, and when I click links, they occasionally work but mostly I'm redirected to nonsense sites. I can't access bleepingcomputer or malwarebytes, both show the "cannot display the webpage" screen even though other sites are working. I found other forums directing me to search my system for brastk, karna, delself, beep.sys, which I have found and deleted, but the problem persists. All of the other solutions require a download, and the only one that was successful was brastkremover.rar which claims to have removed brastk successfully. I have not been able to get anything else downloaded because of the IE redirects. Other things I've done: Spybot has not been able to successfully update or work properly for some time, so I tried to download a new copy, which didn't work. I uninstalled the old version, and tried again still with no luck. AVG free is doing a scan in a command-line environment, I guess due to being in safe mode. Can I still run my accounting software over the network in safe mode if I turn off the internet connection? HELP!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wolsno

wolsno

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:39 PM

Can I still run my accounting software over the network in safe mode if I turn off the internet connection? HELP!!

I wouldn't.
If you can get online in safe mode with networking mode try a couple of the online scanners such as the ones found at kaspersky, bitdefender and f-secure.
The best way to really clean this stuff is manually by booting to a live linux cd and digging the files out then using the popular scanners to get the junk left behind.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

Make Sure You Haven't Been Compromised
Call your bank and make sure there are no unauthorized purchases on your card
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then try what the other poster said and try safemode with networking. If you can get there, try this:

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

Edited by garmanma, 17 November 2008 - 08:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Dougshade

Dougshade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:57 AM

It won't let me go to any of these sites. I can go to google, yahoo, and of course all of the sites that it redirects me to. I think the creators of this problem specifically excluded the sites where solutions can be found. Is it possible to download something onto this laptop and move it into the shared documents of the infected PC?

Edited by Dougshade, 18 November 2008 - 07:58 AM.

#5 wolsno

wolsno

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

It won't let me go to any of these sites. I can go to google, yahoo, and of course all of the sites that it redirects me to. I think the creators of this problem specifically excluded the sites where solutions can be found. Is it possible to download something onto this laptop and move it into the shared documents of the infected PC?

So you are redirected even in safe mode? I'd say your best bet is the ubcd4win live cd downloaded and burned on another computer. The site is ubcd4win.com and the latest version is 3.21. There are extensive instructions there on building the cd and you will need an original XP CD preferably not from Dell. Booting from that CD will allow you to scan with superantispyware, clean out temp files and even do remote registry editing. Post again if you need more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users