Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a malware-infected computer in a network affect the router?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

For example, if I connected a laptop infected with malware wirelessly to the router, can the laptop change the settings of the router?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:45 PM

Routers I'm familiar with do not permit wireless access to administrator function.
There might be others that permits.
It might also depend on how protected the router is - password, security key, MAC filters, etc.

Considering it's internal to the router's firewall, I'd think it's possible, but not likely.
But, remember, hackers are always ahead of this game!

Edited by tos226, 17 November 2008 - 09:45 PM.

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:31 AM

Hello Lloyd T,

The following posts describe a vulnerability in systems where a router is used and the password for administering the router is not changed from the factory default setting:

"Drive-by Web Attack Could Hit Home Routers":

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=763520

"In the Wild: Zlob Changing Router Settings to Hijack DNS":

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20631012-...s-to-Hijack-DNS

The routers that I have used (Netgear and Linksys) optionally do allow remote access to the administration function.

#4 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

Does that mean I won't have any problems since I don't use the default password?

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

Most unlikely. You have a nice security setup (your sig).

Always possible to be hacked. I heard a router can be hacked in about 10 minutes.
But I woulnd't get too paranoid over this. Check your router settings every now and then, see if anything changes in the direction you'd rather not see it change.

I don't know Comodo. But it's a firewall you can tighten up. For instance, have you set any specific rules? Are NetBIOS ports prevented from going to the internet? Things like this tighten up your computer.

In the router, don't permit remote administration. And it still can be hacked :flowers: :thumbsup:

Edited by tos226, 18 November 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

You should change the router passwords every week, enable MAC and IP filtering. It is still possible to bypass this, but it would say 'go away' to most attacks.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users