Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007 Start Up problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ljsea

ljsea

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

I installed Outlook 2007 over Outlook 2003 last week. It worked fine for a few days them, I was started getting an error message stating that a file was not completely shutdown in a prior session. On the bottom left of the screen it was showing a set of gears which I later learned was indications of indexing? But Outlook would just shutdown, with me sending the error message to Microsoft. After spending a lot of time removing SpyBot, Windows Defender, Windows Desktop Search, then running registry fixes, spyware removal and adware programs nothing would fix it. I then found the scanpst.exe program. I scanned Archive.pst, outlookbackup.pst, and Outlook.pst files with repairs being made to the Archive and Outlook.pst files. The backup shows errors than the repair part of Scanpst cannot fix. When I now try to load Outlook 2007, it starts up but shutdowns immediately upon "retreiving messages". The indexing gears are now not showing up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by ljsea, 17 November 2008 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

Have you tried uninstalling Outlook then reinstalling it again after it was removed?

But first, check if you meet the Outlook 2007 requirements:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products...8651033.aspx#16

Edited by Lloyd T, 17 November 2008 - 06:58 PM.

#3 ljsea

ljsea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

Lloyd T

Thanks for the response. I have more than enough space to run Outlook. If I do a reinstall, do i lose the files? Or should I just reinstall it again over the top?

Thanks,

#4 ljsea

ljsea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

I did a reinstall of Outlook 2007 with the same result. It shuts down retreiving message number 7 of 35. Could there be a virus in that message 7? if so, how can I delete or detect? My antivirus is coming up with nothing.

#5 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

if you have setup a POP email account you could log into your webmail for that account and delete the email or emails that may be causing the problem.....i use outlook daily and have had to do this before....
Posted Image

#6 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

If I do a reinstall, do i lose the files? Or should I just reinstall it again over the top?

You should do a clean install (uninstall it then reinstall).

What files are you talking about?

#7 ljsea

ljsea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

bama,

Thanks, it worked. Outllook has been up and running for over an hour as of now with no problems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users