Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Firefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

I've switched over to Firefox after having a problem with IE. I'm currently running Firefox 3.0.4 on a HP laptop and Dell desktop with windows vista. I'm having a problem that affects the laptop more than the desktop. Sometimes when I try to open Firefox, I get the blue spinning windows circle and then it goes away but nothing loads. Numerous attempts won't open Firefox and after two or three tries, a box pops up stating that Firefox is already running and I need to shut it down or restart the computer. I always have to restart because even though the task manager shows Firefox is running, clicking on "end process" does nothing. I've read a few topics about this but one showed to end process in task manager which doesn't help, and the other talked about it possibly being a trojan. I don't think its a trojan because the article showed other problems I should be having, which none applied. So does anyone have any idea why Firefox would do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Its a known bug in FF2 but I'm pretty sure it's resolved in FF3, and you are running 3. That's strange, I'll look into it and get back to you. Also, in the effect that it's a trojan (that's what I had) when you restart your computer and log on, immediately check task manager for "firefox.exe" or "iexplore.exe" and if either is running it is most likely a trojan.

#3 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hello
Thanks for the quick reply. I restarted the computer and checked task manager and neither firefox or iexplore is there when I am offline.
Dylan

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Then you can rule out trojan :thumbsup: I am quite busy with school (HS sucks) and so I will try to look into that problem in my spare time, I'm sure another member would be more than happy to come along and help also.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hello

The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Locate the copy to clipboard button, Posted Image (under the two arrows)
7. Let us know what you find. (paste the results)
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users