Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overlocking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heltune

heltune

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:01 PM

by the way what is the use of overlocking?
does it have a positive view, besides from what ive read about its negatives effects on the compuetr?

im just asking...

ples...

do i need to overlock, or in what terms does overlocking useful...?

its new to me, sori.

Thank you for enlihgtening.
Bye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:35 PM

do i need to overlock?

Absolutely not. There is no requirement to overclock to make anything work as specified.

what is the use of overlocking?

Well I admit now I've never overclocked anything, so I don't know what I'm talking about right? But I'll throw in my opinion and those who have real experience can flame me later. (All figures are plucked out of the air but roughly approximate to reality)

Point 1: To gamers and others speed is the most important factor in their PC, they must have the fastest CPU and fastest video card possible. Problem: the fastest CPUs are also the most expensive and not in a linear way either - to get a 10% increase in processor speed you might have to pay 50% more.

Point 2: When manufacturers make CPUs its not a perfect process, there is lots of variability in the capability of the product. When Intel make 3.0GHz CPUs and test them they may find 20% unable to run at 3.0GHz and fail those. All the rest get stamped 3.0GHz and sent off to market. The 3.0GHz is a minimum reliable operating speed.
Or to put it another way some of those 3.0GHz CPUs could be quite capable of running at 3.2GHz.

Combining Point 1 and Point 2 you can see that it didn't take long before someone thought of running their 3.0GHz CPU at 3.2GHz thus saving themselves a fair amount of money but increasing the risk of meltdown of the CPU. Hence the emergence of overclockers support sites where specific CPUs are recommended for their overclockability and monster, water cooled, illuminated heatsinks are all the rage to keep the suckers from vapourising! Of course if your CPU is not one of those capable of supporting higher speeds then bye bye computer.

Use? Well some people do claim to get outrageous speeds out of their systems and I guess they get a lot of fun out of it. Good luck to them.

Edited by Rimmer, 07 May 2005 - 09:41 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 heltune

heltune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

thanks a lot
but im not gonna risk my computer..
its not worth a try hehehhehe

thanks anyway

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:03 PM

When Intel make 3.0GHz CPUs and test them they may find 20% unable to run at 3.0GHz and fail those.

Don't they call those Celerons? :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

Dear heltune,

Overclocking is great at those game spots that hang. So they say.

If you are running a game that is above your reach you can overclock to compensate. Not really!

In my attempt to overclock my computer, I almost destroyed my computer.

Patience is not a virtue, speed is need! I live by this creed but you can accomplish this with new gear!

Overclocking is an advertising gimmick! :thumbsup:

With todays computers you can buy an upgrade that will go faster and be safer.

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:

P.S. Celeron is what...bad kitty!!
Your Hardware Guide.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:12 PM

I saw some very interesting overclocking comments on another site and thought I would wake up this thread to share them with you. These are quotes from posts at http://www.computing.net/cpus/wwwboard/forum/11034.html

Man, xbit labs overclocked a Celeron D 330 that normally runs at 2.66ghz to 3.8ghz and the gaming benchmarks are really impressive especially when it can hang with the P4 3.2ghz. The down side is, it just goes to show you how bad the lack Celeron D's especially when it comes to games if you have to overclock them 1200mhz faster just to hang with a p4 3.2ghz. processors.

Just last year the screen savers tried to bump a 3ghz p4 to 4.2ghz with a top of the line liquid cooler and everything else and the p4 chip ended up burning out.

You cannot burn out a CPU by overclocking it...if you clock it too high, it simply won't boot.
You cannot burnout a P4 by overheating it...it has built-in thermal protection circuitry & will either underclock or shutdown completely.
The only way to "cook" a P4 is to overvolt it. And to reach 4.2Ghz with a 3Ghz CPU, a substantial voltage increase would be necessary. Apparently more voltage than the CPU could withstand.

To paraphrase ..... "IF you know what you are doing, and IF you do it right, you will NOT screw up anything"

Any AMD Athlon, AthlonXP, or Duron will fry in a matter of seconds without a heatsink installed. They have no built-in thermal protection. A P4 on the other hand will run without a heatsink...obviously, it's not recommended, but it can be done.

Overheating & overvolting are the two ways to kill a CPU. Simply raising the FSB will not damage a CPU in any way...it will either run, or it won't. If it doesn't run, or runs unstably, that's when raising the voltage comes into play, & that's when the risk of damage begins

Hmmm... maybe overclocking a P4 is not as foolish as I first thought? 4.2GHz! :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 21 May 2005 - 11:16 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:35 AM

Dear Rimmer,

Yeah, you can overclock anything; hard drives, RAM, chipset, but it has an effect.

I remember an old program that enabled you to double your hard drive space. I don't remember the name but it worked sort of. Most of the time my computer crashed while retrieving the stored data. I regretted using that program.

Overclocking a computer will cause the same damage. Lost time and severe glitches! Just like the old days, nothing simple comes free. Computers are made different today and overclocking can cause immediate damage.

They don't make quality computer parts anymore and all of us know it. Why push inferior products to do more than they were built to do?

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

"DoubleSpace." More trouble than it was worth, IMHO. Now we have file compression built into XP. That can be troublesome, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users