Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keep shutting down

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 is14fun

is14fun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

Our Computer keeps shuttin down. Sometimes withing five minuites from start. Don't know if it is a hardware or software problem. Any help would be greately appreciated. I have the notpad file I got from using OTScanit2.exe program but don't know how I can upload it for view. Thanks for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

Manufacturer and model?

Have you checked for overheating?

How to Avoid Overheating Hardware Secrets - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/142

Cleaning A Laptop Computer - http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/usingyour...cleanlaptop.htm

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Any error messages (not warnings or informational messages) in Event Viewer that might give clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

You might also need to Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Louis

#3 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

Very full answer hamluis I think I only have on thing to add to that. Is there any beeping sounds coming from the case? Such as 2 short beeps and 1 long. When you post a question dont be shy to give out all the info you have because for hardware it can vary for laptops and towers and such.

I think It might be overheating open the case up and check see if you have a lot of dust in the case. Now make sure you do this on a hardwood floor as to prevent ESD(Electro static discharge) If there is alot of dust especially around the heatsink (A usually large cubish metallic thing) it would cause the computer to shut down.
CompTIA A+ certified

#4 Box In A Bag

Box In A Bag

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

Follow Hamluis's suggestions, but make sure to check physical attributes first, it will save you a headache if you crack your case open and see a hair ball clocking your CPU fan.

I would like to add another suggestion as well, when checked for dust or heat issues, look at your motherboard, preferably around your CPU, if you see any buldging capacitors or blown capacitors than you will have problems with your system locking up, randomly shutting down, or just not working period. If you see signs of these, you can order capacitors and solder the new ones on... if you know how... if not, than buy a new motherboard.
Posted Image
Intel Core2Duo E8400 wolfdale 3.0GHz OC'd to 3.8GHz 38C/39C maximum,

---Call 9-1-1 for emergencies.... or just post at Bleeping Computer---
------------Your friendly CVCOG 9-1-1 Network Administrator-----------

#5 shockwaveaz

shockwaveaz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:57 PM

I agree I think it is an overheating problem. Get a can of compressed air and blow out the dust from the heatsink then make sure that your fan/fans spin freely after you do this

#6 is14fun

is14fun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the input. I was just wondering if there were any tests I could run which would diagnose the problem. I have looked at the event log but can't seem to make any sense of that report and I ran the OTScanit2.exe program but that report doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Thanks again for your help.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:17 AM

Overheating is one of the most common causes of this type of problem, and as previously suggested at least twice you may want to consider this. Unfortunately you haven't provided the information regarding the type of computer that you have, so I'll explain how to treat both the desktop and laptop.

Short of opening the access covers on the bottom of a laptop you can take a can of air and blow out the vents, if there is a fan be extra diligent in blowing this out as this usually is where the CPU is located and is what overheats and shuts down the computer.

A desktop is a lot easier to access and a proper cleaning can be accomplished. Open the case and examine the heat sink and fan on the CPU on the motherboard. If you see an accumulation of dust inside the fan and heat sink it will need to be blown out with canned air. You should blow out any dust visible on the components. Please note: Static electricity can damage the components inside your computer, to discharge any static electricity that you may have touch the metal of the case before touching anything inside.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 is14fun

is14fun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

Thanks, we have a HP laptop which appears to have two fans. Can't determine is both fans are functing properly. One fan does seem to run at high speed for long periods. I will try your suggestions and see if it corrects the problem. I gather there are not programs I can run which would confirm this diagnosis.
Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users