Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox addons across users

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

I tried to follow xblindx's recommendations to install add ons that would block some of the ads and popups. I had to change to an administrator account and I noticed when I returned to the non-admin account, the addons were not there. Is there any way to install the addons to the firefox in another user account? I simply thought they would be there.

xblindx's list can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1009656

Zllio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hi,

Did you not have an option whilst installing to install for all users?

Log into the Limited Account and whilst trying to install the updates you should have an option to elevate to Admin Access to install the add-ons.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hmm.. I don't think I've ever had the option to install the Add-ons across all users. Me, my brother and my mom have all had to install our own add-ons. I just tested it by trying to install an add-on (I am an administrator) and didn't get any options other than "install" and "cancel".

Each account of your computer has a separate "profiles" folder in the Firefox folder (in program files), that is the reason they don't share add-ons.

Edited by xblindx, 17 November 2008 - 05:39 PM.

#4 Zllio

Zllio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

I just tried using it again on the user without admin rights and it downloaded fine this time. Don't know what the problem was before. Mystical computers. :thumbsup:

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

Glad to hear you got it sorted, my next post was going to be advising changing the account to admin access, install the update, revert it back to limited access.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users