Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maxtor One Touch III

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 byrdwoman

byrdwoman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

I have confirmed with Seagate that my Maxtor External drive is dead. The light on the front of the unit is "flashing." I forgot to ask what "dead" means and if I will be able to recover my business information off the drive. I am a novice. Are there some simple steps to enable me to look at my hard drive and remove the information I need (if its there) rather than hire someone to do it? Do you have any suggestions for reliable external hard drives as this one only lasted a little over a year (warranty is out and I am out the money!).

Thanks for your help!

byrdwoman :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

An external hard drive is nothing but a hard drive (same as the one which comes with any system) which has been put inside an enclosure that provides USB connectivity. If users remove the hard drive inside from the enclosure, it can be directly attached to the motherboard.

Seagate is probably about as reputable as a drive maker can be, IMO. The problem is that...anything manmade can fail at any time. Hard drives fall into that vast category. Which is why backing up the system or valuable data files...has been strongly recommended by everyone since PCs became commonplace and popular.

There are programs that offer some hope to users with drive problems...they are known as data recovery programs.

Before we go further...just what steps did you take to verify that the drive is dead? I ask this since the drive itself may be good, but the enclosure may be dead. Since the enclosure contains the drive, how would a user know?

And how large is the stated size of this external drive?

Louis

#3 byrdwoman

byrdwoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

Louis,

Thank you for responding to my question. I was able to recover my information from the old drive and bought a seagate. I will be backing up my information also on a disk. Do you have any suggestions?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

Not really.

Considering the cost of hard drives today, it's just as easy to store all backups on one of those...as to use DVDs/CDs. And I have more confidence in a hard drive than I would with optical drive media.

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:40 AM

Personally... I have a preference for backing up my data with DVDs rather than a second hdd. If the DVDs or CDs are stored properly they will be good for years. The problem with hdds is that they can be taken out by a power surge, or just fail at a early age. Another option would be to use an application like Acronis True Image and keep this on a DVD. It will be interesting to see what the future will be like with the new solid state hdds.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users