Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 5000

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lo Crispin

Lo Crispin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

When I start up, the computer whirls and whirls for about 25 minutes before it is ready for use.

If I disconnect the wireless connection until the computer has settled down, I can cut about 5 minutes off the start-up process. I use AVG 7.5 internet security and the up-date download that occurs when I first switch on each day does not help, but it is not the cause of the problem.

Sometimes, even after the computer has been on for an hour or two it will start whirling as soon as I use it, but not always.

I do a full AVG scan on a regular basis, and also check for Windows and Microsoft up-dates regularly.

Can anyone help me sort this out? I hope that I do not have to completely wipe the hard drive clean and start again.

Edited by Lo Crispin, 17 November 2008 - 10:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:03 AM

Try running MSCONFIG to see what is running when you first start up your computer, you can disable application running at that time that aren't essential.

How large is your hdd, and how much free space do you have on it?

How much RAM do you have?

If you launch the AVG free control center and then click on Test Center you can use the Scheduler to change the time that you get your updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

Also, AVG 7.5 isnt being supported. Upgrade to AVG 8.0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users