Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DANGER USING FIRMWARE UPDATES FOR HARDWARE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:32 PM

I have just pronounced my cd-re-writer as clinically dead.

It was not victim of impatience or bad temper, abuse or intentional neglect...but of a bad decision using a firmware update without any prior knowledge of the impact of the wrong firmware.

Instead of using the original compaq firmware update I used one from a driver site that was for the BRAND of cd-RW. I followed the steps and now my cd-rom will not communicate with my computer....the chip has been damaged or corrupted from the firmware update...time to get my wallet out!!!!!!!!

Advise from experience
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

!!!CAUTION!!! READ CAREFULLY !!!CAUTION!!!

IF YOUR COMPUTER IS AN OEM SUCH AS DELL, COMPAQ, HP ETC. GO TO THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE FOR YOUR MANUFACTURER AND CHECK THEIR SITE FOR FIRMWARE UPDATES. IF THEY DO NOT HAVE ONE IT IS UNLIKELY THAT ONE IS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR COMPUTER.

AVOID VISITING THIRD PARTY SITES FOR UPDATES AS THE DRIVERS ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR HARDWARE MAY SERIOUSLY DAMAGE THE DEVICE TO THE POINT OF REPLACMENT IF YOU GET IT WRONG.

MY CD ROM IS NON-OPERATIONAL DUE TO INCORRECT FIRMWARE DESPITE THE DRIVER COMING FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER AS THE DEVICE AND THE EXACT SAME MODEL NUMBER OF THE DEVICE.

MY CD-ROM IS NOT RECOGNISED BY MY PC AT ANY STAGE OF THE START-UP PROCESS NOR IN WINDOWS. I KNOW IT IS DEAD AFTER EXHAUSTIVE INVESTIGATION AND RECOVERY PROCEDUES WHICH HAVE NOT WORKED. AND FROM DIAGNOSTICS WITH EXPERIENCED MEMBERS OF THIS SITE.

TAKE MY ADVISE....TAKE CAUTION. IF YOUR NOT 100% SURE YOUR HARDWARE WONT BE EITHER!!!!!

GOOD LUCK.

DARREN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Peculiar

Peculiar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:04 PM

Do yourself a favor and purchase a DVD Burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users