Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two HDD's two O/S's

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dumduck

dumduck

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi.
I have a system running Win 2k pro with a second HD I use for backups, I now want to install XP home and use it as the primary O/S on one drive with my existing O/S win 2k on the second HD. both these HD are the same, 80 gig seagates. the plan being once the XP system is up and running with all my data transfered over along with progs and settings I will have a dual operating system and add an external HDD and use it for back ups. the Q I am asking is what is the best way of proceeding.
regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

AFAIK...the only way that you could transfer programs from Win 2K to XP (along with settings) would be to do an upgrade install of XP.

And that seems to have some problems: http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/In...in2kupgrade.htm

Aside from that, 2 OSes on two hard drives is itself easily accomplished.

Frankly...I see no advantage in dual-booting Win 2K and XP...the two are close enough that differences seem superficial (except that XP definitely has better, more current driver support and tools for handling OS situations.

A clean install of XP, with all programs being installed anew, is the recommended procedure for upgrading from Win 2K to XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users