Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no start button or icons loading on desktop, problems with ie

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newbiew1954+2

newbiew1954+2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:36 AM

For the past week, when starting my dell desktop, it will not load icons to the desktop. I only get the wallpaper and no start button. When trying to access the internet, I always get, " internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. I can access a few programs thru the task manager, but those programs shut down right after opening. I have deleted all tmp and tif files.

I am at wits end. My next option is to format my drive, thereby loosing all of my personal pictures, resumes and homework.
Please help me

Thanks

newbie1954+2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:33 AM

Hi newbiew1954+2, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Can you start in Safe Mode? If you can try using System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 newbiew1954+2

newbiew1954+2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for the welcome dc3.

I cannot start anything in safe mode except for the task manager. In safe mode I can open a few program but they shut down right away. An example is the Word application. I opened Word in safe mode and it said it was experiencing problems and had to shut down. As it was shutting down it said it was trying to recover the document and asked me if I wanted to save the document, when I said yes, I got the same error message about Word having to shut down.

I have tried running MacAfee, but it also gives me the error message, MacAfee has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. Using antivirus that involves the internet also gives me an error message.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:34 AM

Try using the Last known good configuration, this is one of the options on the same page as Safe Mode.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users