Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changes to autoexec.bat get reversed after boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ellis Dee

Ellis Dee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:50 AM

After making changes to my autoexec.bat file something is changing it back to the way it was when I reboot.
I make a change-> the file is saved->reboot->it's back to the way it was before the change.

If I make the change in protected mode the change will stay intact for the rest of the boot until windows loads. Then it gets changed back. I know this because I was trying to remove a call to a legacy program that causes the WIN command to not load. So if the call to the program was still intact it would not have booted into windows.

When I make the change in Windows normal mode it gets changed when exiting windows because it will hang at the point before the WIN command gets called.

I was able to get the pc to boot by changing the file name of the program, but I would like to be able to change my autoexec.bat file in the future.

This is occurring on my old win98 SE computer that is networked via crossover cable to my XP SP2 Home Edition pc. I have AVG 7.5 running on it . Not sure if this would be caused by AVG or the network? I don't know what else could be causing it, any ideas?

I have no password set up on the win98 pc so when the password prompt comes up after a boot I only have to press the Enter key to log on.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hometech

hometech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

how are you changing it? you can use notepad. the easiest way to fix is rename .bat to .old make a new autoexec file with notepad and choose save as and change txt to bat also you might have to change your config.sys the same way if you have win98 cd go to tools >oldmsdos and open the help file{dos 6.22 but mostly same as dos 7} and it will help with commands and syntax. hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users