Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpiralFrog Downloader - Incomplete Removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Loctite

Loctite

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

Hello,
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this:
I listen to music from Spiralfrog.com and switched browsers from IE to FireFox3. This required, per website instructions, uninstalling the "Spiralfrog Downloader" that was used for IE and re-installing a fresh version for FireFox, using the Add/Remove in setup to remove it, which I did.
This worked flawlessly on one PC, however on another PC that I use for the same thing, when I try to re-install the FireFox version, installation halts and an error comes up stating "A previous version of Spiralfrog Downloader is installed and must be removed using Add/Remove.....", which I have already done.
I did a registry search for anything containing the the phrase"Spiralfrog" and deleted it with no change. I have used McAffee's registry cleaner with no change. I also used the McAffee util to clean up the HD and "temp" folders as well.
My question is how do I go about finding whatever remnant of the previous installation is still in my PC? I have searched the HD and registry, but have not found anything obvious.
Also, I am unable to re-install the version for IE. It causes the same error to come up. Apparently there is a listing somewhere in my PC that is stating the program is still installed.
I am running WinXP if that helps.
Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to state as much info as I could.
Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and see if there is anything listed in there. If so, tick the box and run it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Loctite

Loctite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:40 AM

Well, it looks like I have something else going on here. I tried the Windows Installer Cleanup and it won't install. It returns an error:

Script: C:\ Docume~1\DAVEEI~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\IXP000.TMP\StartMSI.vbs
Error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'Scripting FileSystemObject'
Code: 800A010D
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

What is interesting is that there is no such folder showing in Windows Explorer even with all options checked in folder view settings to show them unless if I click "Start, Run and type "%Temp%". Then it shows up and appears to be a duplicate of "Documents and Settings", only it and all of the folders in it have been renamed to 8 character DOS names.
And now, there is no longer any folders labeled "Local Settings" or any other system-type folders in the actual "Documents and Settings" folder under any of the user administrator names.

Instead, they are in this folder with the DOS-type names, "Docume~1\DAVEEI~1\LOCALS~1\etc". Also, under "Properties", all of these "Documents and Settings" folders have the same creation date back in 2004.

Also, under properties for the ""Docume~1\DAVEEI~1\LOCALS~1\etc" and the actual "Documents and Settings" folders, it shows several thousand files, of which I am thinking are music files. I have no idea how they got there because I have never used this drive for music files. I use a separate drive for that. However, I had a "Zune" connected to this PC at one time and it tried to completely rearrange and rename all my music files. I am thinking this is very suspicious. I removed the Zune software, but could it have done this?

I was thinking of doing a Windows reinstall to hopefully get all of this back to normal, but I would like to know what is going on in the first place.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this,

Dave

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:06 AM

Let's move this to the XP forum
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users