Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

started then stopped

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

Hi to my great family at Bleeping computer !
I bought a cheap laptop to add to a network in my home. It is a Thinkpad 600. When I bought it, it had Windows 98 on it and it ran fine. But, me being a little experimental is the real problem ! I took a Windows XP install disc, which belonged to a desktop, and began to put XP on the laptop. I deleted the Windows 98 partition and then proceeded to install XP. There started popping up warnings that certain files couldn't be loaded and after the second warning, I stopped the install.....oooooops ! :thumbsup:
Now I have a big problem! When I turn the laptop on, all I get is " NTLDR is missing" " Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". When I restart, it does the same thing .
I made a boot disc, onto a cd, because this laptop doesn't have a floppy drive. The boot disc doesn't do anything either. I went into BIOS and made the cd drive boot first, then the hard drive. That doesn't help either. The drive is spinning like it is trying to read the disc but no results.
Any and all help to get this laptop working again will be vefry much appreciated !
It has 160mb of RAM, if that helps any.
Thanks !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:50 AM

When your computer starts, it attempts to load the primary partition for the MBR. It then uses the MBR to load the OS. The MBR, in Windows XP and lower, points to NTLDR. If it is not there, Windows does not start. If the OS was not installed completely, you might have even bigger problems to deal with if you can get XP to load. I found a site that might help.

How to fix: NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart

Edited by DJBPace07, 17 November 2008 - 01:52 AM.

3939.png

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for your reply !! I really appreciate it !
It looks like there is a lot of things to try on that website so it will be a while before I can post results. I will be working on it. It will be a " slow go" since we are working a lot of overtime at work.
Thanks again !!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

FWIW: Although MS says that XP will install with 128MB of RAM, I see no reason to test that.

Louis

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

I went to that website and did the things that were suggested. I put the XP recovery disc back in and it started up ! BUT, it only loaded for a minute and now it's stuck on ..." Setup is loading files ( Kernel Debugger DLL)...
I'm gonna leave it like that till I get home from work. I don't know what to do with it now ! Help

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

I stopped that install, and tried again. This time it worked just fine ! YES !!!! We have now success ! The install completed and everything seems to be fine. Thank you all for your great help ! I have ordered more RAM and after thats installed, I'll be good to go. Thank you all once again for being there for everyone !

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

Have your tried running Memtest86+? There might be a problem with memory.

3939.png

#8 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:01 AM

Everythings fine now. I have ordered 256MB of RAM for this computer. Thanks for your reply !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users