Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

c0000218 registry file failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

This is a C400 series with no cd rom. no floppy, and one usb port.
From all accounts I need to replace the hives(all 5 I assume), But I can't get it to boot, can't get it to allow me to access the recovery console and is an OEM install of the OS. Just keeps rebooting and dumping.
Any ideas.
Thanks,
Respectfully,
Doc
“I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:42 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

After I had run a diagnostic on the hard drive, I would try a repair install, takes about 35 minutes...leaves all data files and program files intact. Will have to reinstall all critical updates issued since the file date on the CD used for the repair install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084 AND http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/2005...le_failure.html

Louis

#4 doctorphibes

doctorphibes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

I can't boot at all. In any way shape or form. Thanks for the links , been to the first one it's not for OEM but I'll check out the other two I have no way to uninstall or reinstall the OS
Respect,
Doc

Edited by doctorphibes, 16 November 2008 - 11:07 PM.

“I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” Albert Einstein

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

The OEM disc is fine, as long as it is the installation or recovery disc, and the one that goes with your computer. Unfortunately you need a CD-ROM to run the recovery console, and as a last resort a repair install. Because you need a slimline you're looking at about $40.00 (US) to purchase one. Newegg has a Lite-On DVD burner for $39.99. Most hard drive manufacturers have a download of their diagnostic tool, you will need to know the manufacturer of you hard drive to find the correct one. I'm pretty sure that the hdd in you laptop is a Hitachi Travelstar.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:13 AM

What i would do :

1.download the lastet livecd of ubuntu and install the iso on a usb stick.
2.put the usb stick in the C400 and boot on it.
(ubuntu live will just install it self temporary in the laptop memory so you can get access to your hdd and internet if your lucky)
3.When everything is up and running copy all important data to the mem stick.

now you can either get a copy of XP or run ubuntu on a clean install.
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#7 doctorphibes

doctorphibes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:59 AM

Thanks that's seems to be a good idea but I finally found an alternative that might cost 15 bucks. I'm going in the morning. I found a USB power cord that has 3 different ide /sata 3 different sizes.just pop it in the usb in a port on my desk top, plug in my hard drive in the appropriate connector then I can wipe it and reinstall windows from my desktop cd/dvd. It just reads it as another drive,mines an IBM 40g ata. Some. (like Hitachis) have a male on the hdd I'm not really sure about mine depending on how you look at it so I'll take it with me and match it but it has a male looking end (looks like ram?) and then pinholes like a regular female IDE on either side so it could be female. It's really not even mine and I know squat about laptops. I'm doing it for a friend in school that's broke so it's do or die for him but helping is what this is all about. So...
Thanks all for your feed back :thumbsup: if I can't make this work I'll be trying Wubi I guess hahaha.Thanks Luser,that's a pretty creative idea in my newbie opinion.
Much respect to all,
Doc :flowers:

Edited by doctorphibes, 18 November 2008 - 03:06 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

FWIW: When you install XP on any system...whether it's the intended user or not...those are the drivers that are installed by XP.

If you attempt to install XP on a laptop hard drive by connecting it temporarily to another system...that will work, but the resulting install of XP may never work properly in the laptop.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

The bottom line that I see here is...any system that does not have a CD/DVD drive that works in 2008/2009...has little chance of being more than a temporary clerical adjunct. Since the user has no way to accomplish repairs/maintenance or backup or reinstall the O/S...it's easy to see that changes need to be made.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2008 - 09:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users