Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

good price for motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chrisgritz

chrisgritz

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

Well idk if its good or not but for everything it brings, i really dont see anything wrong with the motherboard for the price i actually think it is very good, but idk if im missing something about the motherboard that sucks. its $130, well anyways this is the link.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...=MCM-GF7050-940

So is this motherboard good for the price?

And if im correct this motherboard has only 1 processor of 3.20 Ghz right? is that why it only cost 130?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

Well...that link reflects a motherboard bundle...a CPU, 2GB of RAM, and a motherboard.

IMO, the price is good.

But...if I were going to buy a motherboard bundle of any sort...I would not get a process that is as old as the Pentium D.

The motherboard supports 4GB of RAM, which...if you intend to run Vista...would probably be advisable in the future, if not immediately. Which means that you would have to buy 2 2GB modules, since the board supports 2 DIMMs, not 4.

If it were me, I'd be looking at buying a bundle that includes something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2417

And I'd just buy my own RAM. something akin to http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2261

I would do this because I think that...for the money, the AMD CPU bundle is better value and cheaper.

...and I would probably check the www.newegg.com site for motherboard bundles and RAM prices...before making any decision.

Louis

#3 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:40 PM

Well...that link reflects a motherboard bundle...a CPU, 2GB of RAM, and a motherboard.

IMO, the price is good.

But...if I were going to buy a motherboard bundle of any sort...I would not get a process that is as old as the Pentium D.

The motherboard supports 4GB of RAM, which...if you intend to run Vista...would probably be advisable in the future, if not immediately. Which means that you would have to buy 2 2GB modules, since the board supports 2 DIMMs, not 4.

If it were me, I'd be looking at buying a bundle that includes something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2417

And I'd just buy my own RAM. something akin to http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2261

I would do this because I think that...for the money, the AMD CPU bundle is better value and cheaper.

...and I would probably check the www.newegg.com site for motherboard bundles and RAM prices...before making any decision.

Louis

I was wondering though, if a game says it requires 2.5 ghz and my Motherboard only has 2.20 but its a dual core can it run it or not?

and ima be running XP not vista i heard it has to many probs.

Im not really looking for anything special, i just want something that can run WAR, btw those ram sticks you showed me are real nice

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:52 PM

Which game are you wanting to use? If it is a recent game, one that can take advantage of multiple cores, you should be fine. Vista is better able to manage the multiple cores than XP. If the game is an older game that cannot take advantage of the multiple cores, you might experience a slowdown. The processor in that bundle is an older Pentium model at 3.2 GHz, you should be fine. Since you're planning on getting your own processor, I suggest the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz processor. It is fast, more efficient, dual core, and uses the newer 45nm technology. I would also get an aftermarket cooler, the stock coolers are just not that good. A good one is the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro. It is a good price and can cool that processor better than the one Intel provides in the box.

3939.png

#5 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

The game im trying to play is Warhammer, im running a 3.33 ( Celeron) ghz comp atm with Radeon 2400 HD 256mb and 1gb of ram but it lags not that bad but when i pvp and its alot of peeps it lags alot, i dont know if its the Ram or what, it was a comp given to me and thiers some probs with it, im not planning to upgrade this, but the prob is ,my budget. So im not really looking for anything crazy, just something that will run War or recent games fine, doesnt have to be Max settings etc.

You guys say that the bundle brings a older model of Pentium, does that mean that its really bad? Also, if i was to stick with just a single core processor that that bundle brings, do i stick with XP? or still get vista? Btw im def getting that cooler that you showed me.

Wait i just looked at the page agian and i think the processor is a dual core? it says "The new Intel Pentium D 940 is a budget dual-core chip" does that mean that it is a dual core or am i reading something thats not part of it? it shows that in the middle of the page with the processor pic, if it is, then i should go with vista right?

Edited by chrisgritz, 17 November 2008 - 12:27 AM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:42 AM

The Pentium D was produced in 2005 and recently ended production when the Core 2's arrived. The Pentium Dual Core (A different processor) was created in 2006 it is more energy efficient and outperforms the Pentium D. The Pentium D, Pentium Dual Core, and Core 2 Duo are all dual core processors. In comparison Core 2 > Pentium Dual Core > Pentium D. The Pentium D is a dual core processor, but it is of an older less efficient design. If that Pentium D was benchmarked against a Core 2 Duo of the same clock speed, the Core 2 would easily outperform it. Here's a history lesson, the Pentium D is part of the recently discontinued Netburst architecture. The Netburst architecture included the Pentium 4 and some Celeron processors. The Core architecture is an evolution of the Netburst, and Core 2 is a further refinement of Core. The new Core i7, which was released just a few days ago, is the successor to Core 2 but it is very expensive...for now. After a search of the net, Warhammer is compatible with Vista. You may have to run it in compatibility mode, just a couple of clicks will do this. Go with Vista, your new PC will easily handle it.

3939.png

#7 chrisgritz

chrisgritz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

The Pentium D was produced in 2005 and recently ended production when the Core 2's arrived. The Pentium Dual Core (A different processor) was created in 2006 it is more energy efficient and outperforms the Pentium D. The Pentium D, Pentium Dual Core, and Core 2 Duo are all dual core processors. In comparison Core 2 > Pentium Dual Core > Pentium D. The Pentium D is a dual core processor, but it is of an older less efficient design. If that Pentium D was benchmarked against a Core 2 Duo of the same clock speed, the Core 2 would easily outperform it. Here's a history lesson, the Pentium D is part of the recently discontinued Netburst architecture. The Netburst architecture included the Pentium 4 and some Celeron processors. The Core architecture is an evolution of the Netburst, and Core 2 is a further refinement of Core. The new Core i7, which was released just a few days ago, is the successor to Core 2 but it is very expensive...for now. After a search of the net, Warhammer is compatible with Vista. You may have to run it in compatibility mode, just a couple of clicks will do this. Go with Vista, your new PC will easily handle it.

Wow lol, super smart. This def helped alot, Thank you! and also Thanks to hamluis, after reading that im going to look into other motherboards now. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users