Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Blank screen when windows xp starts up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elw1024

elw1024

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew about this type of problem, I have searched other forums and talked to numerous tech guys with no success. So, here it is I was trying to update my drivers on my computer with some site driver doctor anyway that was probably my first mistake. So, in the middle of the download it cancels out and after that it is horrible. My computer will only start up flash the dell screen then the windows xp screen then total blackness nothing else. I can get into the system startup by pressing f12 and the boot menu by pressing f2 other than that nothing else. When I try to put in a cd to reinstall windows it comes up with floppy diskette seek failure f1 or f2, then press f1 says selected boot device not avail. I have tried everything taking out hard drive putting it back and the same with the cd drive!! I really don't know what to do except possibly something regarding the bios but I am not sure any ideas?????? Also, I have windows xp and a dell dimension desktop E510. So far I have not run into anyone who even seems remotely to know what to do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

Your computer may not have a floppy drive, but if you go into the bios, you should have an option to disable it. Make sure it's disabled. Also, is your boot order set so your computer will boot of the cd-rom before your hard drive, floppy drive, etc.? You can also change this in the bios.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 elw1024

elw1024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

I have changed the order and it comes back that selected boot drive not avail

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

Try to boot the computer press F10 this should bring up the boot device options and select Cdrom drive. Make sure you have a bootable cdrom installed. The device driver update could have corupted your HDD hopefully it left the bios alone. When you say get into the system do you mean windows?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users