Hi Fred 1907,
If you can run programs from safe mode, please install the following programs and run them. You will still need the help of the Malware Removal forum, but it will help them if you can get as much done before you go there as possible.
Please download, install, update and run the following:CCleaner
The program is free. When you open it to run it, you will see a Run Cleaner button in the lower right-hand corner. Click on this, and confirm that you want to delete all the things that are checked by default. Please note, that this will clean all of your history out, so if you use history, you should uncheck this before you start.Spybot S&D
- Spybot - Search & Destroy
- Tutorial: Using Spybot S&D
Please remember, if you have TeaTimer installed, be sure it is turned off when you are doing any scans. When you finish with Spybot, have it fix anything it finds and then click on the Immunize button and allow it to run.
Malware Bytes - if MalwareBytes doesn't run, please rename it in Windows Explorer and run it directly from there. A suggestion for a name would be BytesMalware.exe
Here are the instructions for MalwareBytes:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and save it to your desktop.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
- MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
- On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
- Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
When you finish with the above, please post the log from MalwareBytes here. You will probably need to do one more scan before moving on to the next level of help.