Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I partition my hard drive and install Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ivegottenthisfar

ivegottenthisfar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

I'm not sure if anyone can help out this old guy...I'm a little slow on the uptake. I have a new software disc containing Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1 included...which I would like to install. I have a 3 year-old computer, I believe capable of running the 64 bit software. (AMD 64X2 Dual Core 3800+, 2.01 GHz, 1 GB Ram, and 80 GB hard drive). I was hoping to just "boot up" the new Vista software and save my "stuff" in XP, but it won't take it without wiping out everything (so it tells me). I have read about "partitioning the hard drive" and installing the new operating program as a separtate entity...offering me 2 options without distroying the other operating system. Is this possible with this computer...and can someone actually tell this old guy how to do this without borrowing one of my grandkids to do it for me? The current running version of XP Home is a 32-bit program.

To complicate things, I live where no cable guy has ever gone, and no possibility of fast internet connections (barring cutting down a forest and mounting a disk)...just slow phone-line dial-up internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Hi, from Another Old Guy :thumbsup:.

Yes, your AMD processor supports 64-bit operating systems, so no problem there.

You can only install one operating system on one partition...sharing not a possibility that the user will like.

So....how big is your current hard drive?

How much free space is on it?

How many hard drives are installed on the system?

Do you have any program which can be used for disk partitioning, resizing, etc...like Partition Magic?

The easiest way to do what you want...would be to install Vista on a separate hard drive, rather than install both O/Ses on one hard drive.

...and there's nothing wrong with asking the grandkids for help :flowers:. Some of our "frequent fliers" here probably could qualify for that group :trumpet: and their knowledge is appreciated.

Louis

#3 ivegottenthisfar

ivegottenthisfar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

Louis,
Thanks for the information. I only have one hard drive...80 Gig, and there isn't a lot on it. I store most stuff on removable media. If I was to add another hard drive just for this...should it be the same size? No I wasn't even aware of software available to partiton. I'll look into that. You've helped me a lot...thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

When I buy a hard drive...I just try to get the greatest value (storage) for the buck at that time :thumbsup:.

And no...hard drives do not have to be the same size, I find that prospect very unlikely since the prices are changing all the time (going lower for more storage).

The only reason that I say that using a 2d hard drive is the easiest/possibly the best solution...I don't believe in having everything on one hard drive. Chances of frustration at some point...are enhanced by being limited to one drive/disk.

I prefer to have at least two, with one being nothing but storage of data, music, document, video files and system backups. I suppose that I don't burn much to DVD, since I have at least 10 hard drives with the capacity of storing more data than I have...I use them in the same manner that I use file cabinets.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users