Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot boot XP window

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 volcane2

volcane2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:32 AM

Hi! i'm newbie here.........unable to boot Xp Pro window after replacing optical 'IDE' dvd writer to 'SATA' optical dvd writer.... but
if i add the 'SATA' optical drive as ' secondary or slave it boots up with no problems, any clues ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 volcane2

volcane2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

i'm unable to boot to XP Windows (but past 'POST') with black screen blinking cursor on left hand side.........i had tried several ways to solve but still fails
includes.........repair XP windows using CD , its stop after copying files.....unable to enter safe mode also........tried recovery console 'fixMBR' n 'fixboot'
Please advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i don't to reformat cos' important datas inside............. Any rescue ?????????

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

I think you are confused somewhat...or I am (highly possible) :thumbsup:.

A SATA drive doesn't reflect as "slave" unless it is in the BIOS. I know that my BIOS reflects them that way, but I pay no attention to it because I don't boot from them.

If your BIOS is like my BIOS...it moves a SATA drive ahead of any PATA/IDE drives in the boot order listing in the BIOS...when SATA drives are attached. So, it is possible that attaching a SATA drive to a system...may unintentionally change the boot-order-option sequence as reflected in the BIOS.

It's also possible that your BIOS has your optical drive as the first boot device...I don't know, but some leave their systems that way.

In such case, the system would try to boot from a SATA optical drive (which, of course, can only be the boot device if a bootable disk is inserted) and the result would be a system that would not boot.

If this is the case, the solution is simply to make your boot drive your first boot option.

If I've not understood...just chalk it up to me being me :flowers:.

Louis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:44 PM

The typical cure for this is using the fixmbr command, Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

If you've properly tried this command and it didn't fix it...and you've tried a repair install and it failed to complete...my guess would be that you have hard drive or memory situations.

I would test both.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

There are other Recovery Console commands which might be applicable, but...I don't see how they could possibly be more effective than a repair install.

Louis

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

Posts merged to maintain continuity.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 volcane2

volcane2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Louis. thanks......... but i still don't get it....what shall i do if i just replace dvd drive from 'IDE' to 'SATA'? In my case the XP window doesn.t want to boot!!!
Sorry........ i'm abit slow in understanding people ideas........Any adjustment in my BIOS?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

From Post #3: If this is the case, the solution is simply to make your boot drive your first boot option (in the BIOS).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users