Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a .gif

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Neonwave

Neonwave

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

Hey, I am trying to make a .gif animation, with over 300 frames in total. I know there is a slow method of making this .gif in Adobe Photoshop CS4, by copying and pasting every single image (total of 300+) for every frame.

All images have the same width and height.

Is there a way to complete this animation faster without spending too much time using the only method i currently know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:25 AM

Have you tried UnFREEz?
I don't know if it'll handle 300 images, but it's free, so there's nothing to lose by trying. :thumbsup:
It'll allow you to drag the whole lot, into the program, and create the animation.
Here's a quick how to:

Note:
Make a copy of your images to work with.
That way, you don't risk damaging the originals.

Make sure all of your images are the same size.
Make sure all of your images are in the .gif format, named the same, and in a consecutive order.
Something like; animation_000.gif, animation_001.gif, animation_002.gif, animation_003.gif, etc.
If they're not, use this tutorial to batch convert, and rename:
Batch Renaming Using Irfanview
In Step 1 of the tutorial, when in the Batch conversion dialog box, instead of using the "Batch rename" option, select the "Batch conversion - Rename result files" option.

NOTE: The following steps can be found, in more detail, in the tutorial, Resizing An Animated Gif.
Follow this link, and go to post #2.

Open the file containing the converted, and renamed images.
Grab the bottom of the window, and drag it up.
This is to make room for UnFREEz, to be placed underneath it.
Open UnFREEz, and drag it under the window containing your images.
Click the first image (animation_000) to highlight it.
Hold the Shift key, and click the last image.
This will highlight all of the images.
Grab (left click, and hold the mouse button down) the first image (animation_000), and drag it into the open window of UnFREEz, then release the mouse button.
All of your images have been loaded into UnFREEz.
Put a check next to the Loop animation box if you want your animation to keep replaying, over and over.
Set the Frame delay (1, will give you a frame delay of 1/100 of a second, so an entry of 100, equals 1 second).
Click the Make Animated GIF button.
Another window will open, in which you will be able to name, and pick a place to save your animation.

Don't close UnFREEz until you have the speed of the animation set the way you want it.
It'll save you having to reload the images again, if your not satisfied with the first result.
While all the images are loaded into UnFREEz, I'd suggest making several animations, at different Frame Delays.
That way, you can compare the different speeds, side-by-side, to decide on which one looks the best.

That's all there is to it.
Sounds a lot harder, than what it really is. :flowers:
Just read the UnFREEz tutorial, and watch the video,
If you have any questions about any of these steps, just ask.

Edited by tg1911, 16 November 2008 - 03:27 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Neonwave

Neonwave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:19 AM

The conversion and renaming of the images came out perfectly.

But when it came to the outcome of the .gif, apparently, the .gif freezes at a certain image (image60). Even if i change the positions of the frames, it all freezes at the same image. It comes to the same problem even with different frame delay.

Is there a way to fix this?

EDIT: I found out that the .gif ran as per normal without that certain image. Is there something wrong with this certain image? I checked that the image itself was in .gif format and the same size as the others.

Edited by Neonwave, 16 November 2008 - 10:23 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:16 AM

UnFREEz will do this, sometime.
There's something about certain images, it just doesn't like.
This was a problem mentioned in their forums, the last time I was there, and the solution was to remove the problematic frame.
It looks like there forum no longer exists, so there's no way to see if they've come up with another solution.

From a PM:

.gifs that I make are not exactly as the frame delay states. Having set my frame delay to 1, the .gif doesn't display each image after every 1/100. I tested it on other .gifs with fewer images and still the same result, normal rate of displaying each image instead of a fast one.

Is there a way to fix this?

I also found out that the .gifs I made are relatively large in file size, around 20MB. Is there a way to reduce the file size of the .gifs?

I don't know why a setting of 1, doesn't work the way it's supposed to, but I've never been able to get it to work, either.
Have you tried it with a setting of 2?
When you set it to 2, the frames cycle through faster than with a setting of 1, or 0.

I find that 1, and 0, look about the same, as do 2, and 3.
When you get to 4, and above, you start to see a noticeable slow down, in the speed the images cycle.

The only way that I know of to reduce the file size, would be to reduce the image quality of the individual frames.
This tut explains it:
Reducing An Image's File Size By Reducing It's Image Quality Using Irfanview
There are a couple of Notes of interest, at the bottom of the tut.

You'll be able to reduce the quality using Irfanview's Batch Conversion tool, but the images will have to be in the .jpeg format, to do it.
Moving the slider from 75-80 should give you an image that would be acceptable, while significantly reducing the file size.
If your .gif is of a fairly small size (say 200 x 200, or less), you can set the slider lower than that.

So basically, take your .jpeg copies, reduce the quality, convert to .gif, then run them through UnFREEz.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:43 PM

GIMP will do it, if you open a number of images as layers, i just haven't experimented with it much.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#6 Neonwave

Neonwave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

I tried making a really small sized .gif and set the delay to 2. (UnFREEz)

Posted Image

Here, I made this. Really small .gif, 23kilobytes with 20 frames.

2/100 seconds per frame? I don't think so. Is there a way to make it go faster than that?

I'm very sure i've seen .gifs which frame cycles faster than this, but how?

Edited by Neonwave, 24 November 2008 - 09:23 AM.

#7 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:44 AM

If you use gimp just open your first image, then stack your follow on images using 'open as layers' (if they are the same size you won't need to adjust but otherwise just use Tools > Transform Tools > Scale. Save as a Gif file, hit the 'save as animation' radio button and set the delay. You're done. You can set the delay to 0ms which is just a blur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users