Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Profile Not Working as admin

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cubsncards

cubsncards

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:13 AM

I have 3 profiles set up on my PC. Two are set up as admin users and one is set up as a limited user. The limited user and one admin profile are working correctly however the third profile is giving me problems. It will log in with the correct password and appears to load the profile. However when you try to open a program it says windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. If I set the same profile to a limited user it will open programs (firefox, ie, etc.)

I have ran the gambit of spyware detectors and found them all to be clean. SAS, MB, Spybot, HJT, and combofix. I did just find this entry in the Event Log which may or may not identify the issue.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1505
Date: 10/11/2008
Time: 4:09:12 PM
User: *\*
Computer:*****
Description:
Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - Access is denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

This seems to indicate that I have a corrupted profile -- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/e...v&LCID=1033.

Any idea of how to find this backup to the profile? Anyone concur that this it what seems to be the problem?

Edited by cubsncards, 16 November 2008 - 12:15 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

I also would say that the original profile is corrupt, based on my limited experience.

There is a copy of the ntuser.dat file in C:\Windows\Repair on my system. I suppose that can be used to replace the damaged ntuser.dat file which appears in your personal Docs & Settings.

I think I would backup the profile contents...in case using the new file results in a wipeout.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users