Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor buying help! :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kevloon

kevloon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Ive narrowed my search down to three monitors. although i am of course open for suggestions.

my top picks are

#1 ASUS PG221H Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD FIXED LINK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824236042

#2 ASUS VW222U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824236028

#3 SAMSUNG 2232BW+ Black 22" 2ms Widescreen
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824001310

I WILL be hooking my xbox360 and tv tuner up to this. that is why im leaning toward the most expensive asus PG221H, it has the component video inputs. along with a few others. i will also be using this as my standard computer monitor.

what are your opinions. are there any cheaper monitors with component or s-video inputs?

are these good monitors?

thanks

kevin

Edited by kevloon, 16 November 2008 - 10:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:38 AM

If you're hooking a 360 and TV tuner to this monitor without a PC connected, audio might be an issue. I doubt the speakers included within are any good. I guess you could use HDMI for video and connect the separate audio outputs from the console and tuner to the speakers. I suggest using a DVI or HDMI cable for the best quality video. S-Video and component video are analog with component video having higher quality than S-Video. HDMI is digital and has a higher quality image than component video. Most monitors have DVI ports, they can transfer the same quality of video but they lack the audio channels provided in HDMI. At 22 inches, the monitors do not have the highest HD resolution at 1080, you get that resolution using monitors 24-inches and higher. At sizes 24-inches or larger, HDMI becomes more common. Your first choice has been deactivated by Newegg. If you're staying at 22 inches, the Samsung you chose is best. If you're willing to spend more on a 24 inch monitor, the Acer P244Wbii is a good value, although it does not come with an HDMI cable and has no DVI ports. That's a bit unusual, not having DVI ports, but with HDMI they are unnecessary.

3939.png

#3 NeoAbel

NeoAbel

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

Between those I'd recommend the Samsung. I work at Best Buy (I know most of the sales guys know nothing but I'm one of the few exceptions I promise.) and we actually sell these models. Both great companies, but Samsung is tough to beat in the monitors. Both response times are extra low and good for games. I think you'll enjoy the boost in contrast ratio from the 1000:1 Asus to the 8000:1 Samsung.

Basing off what we have at Best Buy, component and s-video connections are becoming very rare on the LCD widescreens. We've only had one that I can think of out of our last 50 or so. Also, if you want a top notch 22" I'd recommend a Samsung T220. Its a 20,000:1 contrast ratio (overkill, but the picture really is great).
XFX 680i SLI Board w/ Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz
Nvidia 8800GT 512Mb DDR3
4Gb DDR2 Memory & 500Gb 7200RPM SATA HD
Rocketfish 700W Power Supply
Windows XP Pro (LastXP)

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

Remember that contrast ratios vary significantly since the methods used to determine the ratio varies between companies. Some choose to use a full on/off method to inflate the numbers, whereas the best method is to use ANSI and a checkerboard pattern. Also, remember that the 8000:1 ratio might be dynamic. Some customers might consider a dynamic ratio a bit distracting. A contrast ratio is not an end all, in fact, in a few situations a lower contrast ratio might offer a better image. A higher image brightness level would yield a better perceived contrast ratio for a fixed level of ambient light. This means that a screen with a lower contrast ratio but with higher rated lumens output - may under certain light conditions - perform better than one with a higher contrast ratio but lower brightness level. If you do get a T220, consider getting a better video cable. Here's its listing at Newegg.

Links:

Practical Home Theater Guide - The Contrast Ratio Game
Yahoo Tech - What does contrast ratio really mean?
Gizmodo - Contrast Ratio Shoot-Out (Everyone Loses)

3939.png

#5 NeoAbel

NeoAbel

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

Agreed. Contrast Ratio is a decent guide, but resolution is the number one thing to look for. 1680X1050 is pretty universal on a 22". The 2232BW is indeed dynamic if I'm not mistaken. I'm simply basing my choice on the fact that I see these two monitors every day, and I've been impressed by the Samsung.

Also if glare isn't an issue, the LG L227WTG has a glossy screen that provides an incredible picture. In a dim setting, it's tough to beat. Retails 250-300.
XFX 680i SLI Board w/ Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.4Ghz
Nvidia 8800GT 512Mb DDR3
4Gb DDR2 Memory & 500Gb 7200RPM SATA HD
Rocketfish 700W Power Supply
Windows XP Pro (LastXP)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users