Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using a Linksys w/ a dsl modem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 socom 004

socom 004

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

I'm going to try to get this right, I'm not sure if I can explain or not. My daughter has Yahoo DSL w/ DSL Modem. She had it hooked up to her desktop computer. The desktop "shot craps" so she bought a new laptop. She is wanting to hook the laptop to the Linksys wireless router and to the DSL modem. She won't have a desktop anymore, only the laptop. Can anyone explain how to connect the Linksys to the modem to the laptop? Did that make sense? I hope so...I don't have a clue how to do this and I'm not at her house to help her. I've gotten plenty of help by turning to you guys for numerous problems. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
HP Pavillion a1723w, 820 dual-core processor, 250 G hard drive, 3 G RAM
Windows Vista Home Premium
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D
Altec Lansing Sound Speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

Let's see if I got this right: you want to connect a router to a modem, then you want to connect the modem to the laptop. Correct?

First, is there a port behind the router labeled WAN? Plug the Ethernet cable from the modem here.

How do you want to connect the laptop to the router? Wireless or wired?

#3 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:56 AM

Let's see if I got this right: you want to connect a router to a modem, then you want to connect the modem to the laptop. Correct?

First, is there a port behind the router labeled WAN? Plug the Ethernet cable from the modem here.

How do you want to connect the laptop to the router? Wireless or wired?

Wireless.
Norton 360, Windows Defender, Webroot SpySweeper, AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition, Spybot S&D

#4 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:19 AM

Does the laptop have a wireless card installed and enabled? Is the wireless router up and running?

#5 socom 004

socom 004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

Does the laptop have a wireless card installed and enabled? Is the wireless router up and running?

Well, my daughter called and she had a friend come over and it is up and running. Thanks for helping though. I didn't really have enough info to answer the questions...whew! I do believe it was enabled though. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users