Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleep Bleep

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AkaAlias

AkaAlias

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

I recently installed a Zalman single heatpipe cooler on my ati radeon 9600 SE VGA card. I also bought some cooling paste wich i used in the process, i also used this paste on my processor, as i was working on the pc anyway, and tought some fresh cooling paste couldn't harm processor temperatures.

In the intire process above i had to take out the motherboard and had disconnected everything. When i reconnected everything again and wanted to boot my pc, the fans inside the case started rotating, then the fans started to slow down again and a 2 toned beeping sound came from the case/motherboard.

Absolutly nothing shows on the monitor when i try to boot.

Could it be i wrongly connected the harddrives (i've got two) to the IDE1 IDE2 slots??

Does anyone have any clue on how to fix this..?

I have a MSI KT4AV motherboard.

greets,

AkaAlias
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

Hi AkaAlias

It could be the drives are connected to the wrong IDE controller if you had the cable out. An easy way to check would be to go into the Bios and see what is recognized. Look under Standard Cmos Setup and your drives will be listed there. If you see Auto Detect Hard Drives, highlight that using the arrow keys and press enter. If you know which drive is C:, disconnect the other ribbon cable from the mobo and try one IDE Controller then the other.

It could also be improperly seated ram or video card. I trust you were using precautions against static.

According to MSI you have an AMI bios. Have a look at AMI BIOS Beep Codes and see if you recognize what you are hearing.

Your motherboard manual can be downloaded here if you don't have it. Its a 6.6MB download.

Post back and let us know how you make out.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the reply.

i tried every possible way of connecting the hd's to the IDE slots, with no result. I also tried a boot without the new memory, nothing works so far. The beeping noice could be '2 short' as indicated on the website you linked to. But the beeps aren't really short, and it doesn't say anything about '2 long' on the website.

I'm taking my comp to the shop next tuesday, to see what they think of it.. untill then, if you can help me figure it out, gladly! :thumbsup:

gr,

AkaAlias
Posted Image

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:53 AM

Did you try only 1 hard drive? Did you reseat the video card? Are the hard drives recognized in the bios?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:35 AM

Tried the above, but i can't acces the bios, absolutely nothing shows on screen before the beeping starts.
Posted Image

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:00 AM

The diagnostic procedure I use in cases like this is to remove the motherboard from the case and place it on a wooden or cardboard surface. Hook up the power supply, have ram in one slot and the video card connected to the monitor and that is all. No hard drive, keyboard, mouse or any other devices attached like a modem or network card. Turn the system on. If everything goes right, you will see the initial screen with the ram count. If you have more than one stick of ram, try them one at a time. If you can, try another video card. If this allows the board to function then return the mobo to the case and try it again. Add components one at a time until you have a failure.

If there is something under or touching the motherboard as it sits now, a short will occur and cause the symptoms you describe so removing it from the case negates that possibility.

You need to protect the components from static electricity when handling them and only touch the plastic edges. You also need to ground yourself to remove static from your body before handling anything. Touching the power supply or other bare metal will accomplish this. Hopefully you haven't damaged anything in this manner.

Edited by Leurgy, 09 May 2005 - 08:02 AM.

#7 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:21 AM

I've discovered what the problem was, and got my computer working again :thumbsup::flowers:

Apparently, after applying the cooling paste to my processor the heatsink i didn't reinstall the heatsink properly and it didn't touch the processor. Thus this heated up very fast wich made the motherboard shut down the pc automaticly. It's fixed now. And my pc works normally again! Thanks for your efforts in helping me!

gr,

AkaAlias
Posted Image

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:27 AM

Great news. Thanks for posting back.

#9 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

No problem! Thanks again for your help!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users