Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixing a old old computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:29 AM

I recently went to our farm pc and found and removed viruses and trojans along with a lot of spyware. After that the computer will not start. I put trojan hunter and AVG on there. This computer only has 64mb ram and 266mhz cpu. Now they want to take this thing down to a man to get it fixed. I said its not worth but 50.00 monitor keyboard everything.

Do you think its the trojanhunter and AVG freezing it up even when in safe mode? I tried to get it to start in safe mode but it freezes as soon as it brings the desktop up.

So is there way to get it working again without formatting the hard drive? Is there any way to see if there going to load in the background so I can stop them? It would have to be before windows loads.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:56 AM

Cant it be a hardware problem as in safe mode NO problems loads except Windows OS files..?

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:06 AM

It loads to the desktop then the mouse pointer dissapears and the pc freezes.

#4 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:14 AM

Have you tried reformat? maybe OS/System files are err..are hurt? lol. Not sure how to say but maybe some System file are not working right and causes this.

Have you tried to repair windows using their feature?

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:19 AM

What operating system do you have on that CGM3?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

Its a 98 first edition. Is there a way to get the OS off of it onto a cd to reinstall it. We dont have the 98 cd. I got it into safe mode and sure enough those programs were trying to load. I removed them and got it started in normal mode.

Only problem is the icons are blurry and big like in safe mode. If I could get the OS off and re-install it I would be ok. Im going to try to put a cd burner on it so I can backup the files.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:58 PM

Is there a way to get the OS off of it onto a cd to reinstall it.

Not that I know of. You can look to see if the cab files are on the hard drive though. If they are you can reinstall from there, or just install over the top and refresh everything. Go to Start>Find>Files or Folders and do a search for *.cab. If you find a lot of those, look to the right to see where they are, like C:\Windows\Options\Cabs or C:\Win98. Those are the two most likely places.

Only problem is the icons are blurry and big like in safe mode.

Right click the desktop and click properties. On the box that comes up choose settings and under Screen Area move the slider to the right until you get the look you want. 800x600 or 1024x768 is probably what you want.

Backing up the files is always a good idea anyway.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:44 PM

Yeah the thing on the screen size I dont know why I posted that. I knew that!! Sometimes after safe mode or a big failure it does that!

I think I looked for cab files earlier but they were not there. They are on my 98SE but I dont think that one. I will have to look and see.

I have never messed with the cab files teach me something new. How would I re-install with them and what do I do?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:53 PM

If you have a folder with the cab files in it you can just go to Start>Run and browse to that folder and look for setup.exe and click ok and ok. The better way to do it is to boot with a boot disk and when you get to the A:\> you just switch to the C:\> and change directories until you are at the folder the cabs are in and type setup. Or use F8 to get to Safe Mode Command Prompt only.

Let me know if you want to do that and I'll give you the step by step instructions if you can tell me where the cabs are (which folder).

They are on my 98SE but I dont think that one

You could burn those to make a 98 CD to program the other one too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users