Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 djh72

djh72

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:08 AM

When running p2p software my internet browsing cpabilities become none existent. Also the p2p software doesn't allow me to down load anything. When I get rid of the p2p it all seems to work fine but I still get the following message when running a diagnostic for my router:-

"cannot ping the primary domain name server".

Can anyone shed some light on this? Surely this can't be a good thing?!
My router is a BT voyager 205 and ISP is BT Yahoo (UK).

Hopefully someone can at least tell me what the diagnostic result means.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:32 PM

Hi djh72,
The domain name server is a computer on your ISP's network which translates names of systems in the domain to IP addresses e.g it will translate www.nonsense.com into 134.15.76.1 which is the IP address of the "nonsense" website. If that server died no one on their network would be able to browse using names, so the ISP runs a backup domain name server. Hence you have a primary domain name server and a secondary domain name server. Your router will hold both these addresses.

"ping" is where a message is sent to a particuar IP address asking for a response. Usually if a ping is not responded to it means there is a network problem or the server is down. (Network problem includes it being the wrong address.)

I don't know whether your router came pre-configured or whether it is auto configured by your ISP but unless their primary domain name server is down I'd say the p2p stuff has altered the configuration. You need to check if you have instructions on how to reset the configuration in your router, or contact your ISP and ask them what to do.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 djh72

djh72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:41 AM

Cheers Rimmer,

at least I now know what it all means. I have reset the router to default settings and the ping still fails. The big problem is I now have to speak to the 'experts' at my ISP. Is it just in the UK or are all helplines like these staffed by people who have no idea. (I have called them once before)

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users