Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 10rand

10rand

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:30 AM

There is a program I would like to delete, and it does not show on the Add/Remove Programs on the control panel. Its uninstall instruction says you can delete its file[startup.cpl]. When I do search this file is in {C:\WINDOWS\system32}. On the search results page there is: Name[under this heading: there is the name of the file] and In Folder[ shows where the file is and in this case c:\windows\system32]. Am I right when deleting this file to right click on it and press delete? I looked on the system 32 folder and there are many folders there. I even opened each folder and I didn't find this file except when using the search feature. Thanks.
"The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from the one who does."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:36 AM

1) Try reinstalling it maybe it will show up in the Control panel

2) What program is it? does it say anything on their page on how to delete it fully?

3) Yes, use the search feature and find it, then delete it, just press DELETE button on your keyboard and it gets deleted or right click and click on delete

#3 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:29 AM

It's a handy little program by Mike Lin called 'Starup Control Panel'. I use it to disable the programs that like to install themselves on the startup folder and clog up my system tray. It has a zip version and an .exe version. Install: Run the setup from the zip file OR extract the executable wherever you want. Uninstall: Use the Add/Remove Programs control panel OR delete Startup.cpl from your windows system directory. I am still using it with no problems, I'm just thinking of when I might want to remove it. It's here. Thanks.

#4 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:42 AM

Oh, which one did you download?

.EXE only
or
Download Startup Control Panel 2.8

If you have choosed .EXE only then delete .EXE

If you have choosed the Download Startup Control Panel 2.8 then you can uninstall it by going to:

Control Panel
Add/Remove programs
Uninstall it there.

Good luck.

Edited by Xerxes, 07 May 2005 - 06:57 AM.

#5 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:40 AM

I downloaded 'Download Startup Contro Panel 2.8' which is a zip folder. Instead of running it from the zip folder, I created a folder on C:\Programs Files called Startup Control Panel and extracted the zip to this folder. Now the program does not appear at all on the Control Panel [Add/Remove Programs]. It does not appear anywhere on the computer. I run it from start> run, and type [startup.cpl] and click O.K. Then I see its GUI and am able to use it. I like it, just worried that I might not be able to remove it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

#6 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

Its ok matey,

Just delete that folder and you will be OK, no worries. If you want you can search for that name on the registry and delete everything that has to do with and do a few search so it's compettly gone but I don't recommend you do that if you are not good with computers - If you maybe delete something in registry or something using search feature that you dont know it may result in bad PC problems.

#7 10rand

10rand
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:54 AM

Thanks. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users