Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tag 85 Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:09 PM

I recently downloaded an avi movie. I tried to open it with DivX Player, and it said there was a "Tag 85" error and that I needed to install a codec in order to play the sound. I looked it up and saw that i needed to get the MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder. I got that and installed it, but when I try to open the file, it still said the exact same thing. Could I be doing something wrong? I have Windows NT, btw, so could that be the problem?
"Peace at any cost is no peace at all..." - Jason Jonovic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:13 PM

Hi there and welcome to BC!!

Ok no with windows that isnt the problem. Just find the newst update for the player. When these errors up come dosnt mean its right what they say.. go on the website of DIVX and download the newst one.

Then your good

Regards,
Claudio

#3 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:20 PM

Did you mean the newest version of the player or the newest codecs? I just checked, and I have the newest version. I reinstalled it just to see if that would make any difference, but it didn't

#4 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:24 PM

Both.
Ok since i can speak german TAG means DAY 85? That error dosnt make anysince... it has to be something else.... Get rid of the player and the codecs and try again. Download the player new from www.download.com and the codec from the DIVX website.

Before u do please deinstall every setup from the player you got now. That's important.

Regards,
Claudio

Edited by virusX, 06 May 2005 - 07:27 PM.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

I like GSpot codec information appliance. Nice little program to check any kind of media file when you have a problem.

● Establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file.
● Determines whether these codecs are installed on your system.
● Isolates problems associated with these codecs.
● Simple operation - Basic use: "File > Open", then read results
● Identifies download induced problems (truncated files, "cooked" files, etc.)
● Shows framerate, duration, aspect ratio, bitrates, AVI structure info, and more.
● Displays and allows editing of RIFF info (title, etc); displays "hidden" ASCII info.
● Drag and Drop and "Send To" support, multi-file (batch) processing support
● Copy/Paste or text export GSpot information - format is user configurable.
● Built-in database of 350 video and 150 audio codec types
● Advanced UI including "dual-mode" and hyperlinked "persistent" tool tips
● Full support for OGG media files as well as AVI stream formats
● Identification (only) of non-AVI files (.mpg, .mov, .qt, .rm, .swf, .wmv, .asf, etc.)
● Supports VFW, ACM, DirectShow and DMO codec types (audio and video)
● Win95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP
● No Install (optional), No spyware, No advertising, No registration
● Free

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:02 PM

I just downloaded that GSpot program and opened the file. It said I have three codecs that can play the video stream and three codecs that can play the audio stream. I clicked the render button in the bottom left and it said this: "DirectShow was unable to render the file. Following is the error it reported: 0x80040265: VFW_E_UNSUPPORTED_STREAM - Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported." The file is an avi, so it should be supported by the program. What could be wrong?

#7 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

Did you try search for the error on google? Try that since i'm not a pro on those play back media things..... and before you might just try the idea of installing everything knew like i said. But getting rid of those setups first.

Good luck

Regards,
Claudio

Edited by Pandy, 07 May 2005 - 10:38 PM.

#8 squall_leonhart_wi

squall_leonhart_wi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

I searched for the error on google which is how I found out about the MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder that I needed. I tried uninstalling everything, redownloading the setup files, then reinstalling it, but that didn't make any difference.

#9 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:59 PM

Ok. Then i guess theres nothing we can do about it. Maybe its the player itself.
Try using a diffrent player. I have no other ideas
Sorry i couldnt help

Regards,
Claudio

Edited by Pandy, 07 May 2005 - 10:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users