Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is my cd-rw dead?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

Hello all.

I recently updated my cd-rw drive (compaq LG cd-rw ced 8120b) with a firmware update from the net...they said it was an update straight from the LG site...not realising there was software that I could copy the current firmware before the update I allowed the update anyway...now my cd-rw won't communicate with the bios and is not recognised as an ide device. Therefore windows XP does not recognise it and does not pick it up as new hardware... :thumbsup:

Prior to this I freshly installed win xp full home ed with a legit authentic copy of xp home....device mgr said the drivers for the LG CD-RW CED 8120B were missing or corrupt which lead me to update with firmware.....obviously the most incorrect and expensive thing to do...now I know all i had to do was restart, place xp disc in drive and cd rom would be recognised in win that way..before firmware update bios recognised cd drive now it doesnt...I have read on other sites that I made a bad mistake as I may have used wrong firmware instead of using compaq presario website firmware and have killed the cd-rom....is this true?...is there a way to recover the cd-rw unit and make it work again?

summary for quick diagnosis

installed xp home ed full authentic copy from retail
cd-rw driver corrupt or missing and red x under device mgr
installed firmware update from non compaq site
restarted comp
zero cd-rw drive activity or bios recognition

is cd-rw OEM dead?

many thanks to all repliers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

Go to the LG support site and get the proper driver for your cd rom.

http://us.lgservice.com/

If you do not know the model number of the cd drive download and install Everest Home Edition
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

Run it and it will give you all the info you need to get the correct driver.

#3 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

I have tried and tried fruitlessly to undo these changes. When trying to use other drivers in ms-dos a message appears "target drive not found"...can the prob be resovled in windows?...

many many thanks

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

What model of Compaq is this?

You did not use the Compaq restore feature but rather you purchased XP from another source, correct?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:26 PM

You can install the proper driver by using the Windows device manager. Win XP is not based on MS Dos.

Go to the control panel, click on "system", then on "hardware", then on "device manager".

You can install drivers from there, as well as troubleshoot the device that isn't functioning properly.

Edited by Enthusiast, 06 May 2005 - 07:27 PM.

#6 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:32 PM

Under device mgr there is obviously a list of devices..where cd rom-rw device used to be there is no such thing...any recommendations as to how to get xp to find the cd-rom...if i put the cd in the drive there is no action...ie..no D:\ drive to choose in my comp...hence xp cannot see any cd-rom device to run xp disc..I have been using another comp, copying drivers to flash memory and then copying driver to desktop....

what a nightmare eh?.. :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:36 PM

I believe that you can force the installation using add/remove hardware but you need to have the correct driver accessible to install before you do it.

Use Everest to identify the cd so you can choose the correct driver.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:38 PM

Is the drive recognized in the bios?

Did you try to flash the firmware with a file from the Compaq site? That might make it compatible with the Compaq bios again. The LG firmware seems to be the problem.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 ddwtonigab001

ddwtonigab001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:17 AM

Update on problem:
I HATE COMPAQ BIOS

I have run everest and it has not found a cd-rw drive as a device alone. However it has reported under BIOS that there is CD-ROM as a bootable device. If I enter the bios setup there is no facility to choose cd-rom to boot as a device..only floppy or hard drive...so there IS light at the end of the tunnel since a cd-rom has been recognised somewhere on the system....in Everest, instead of reporting cd-rw as ced 8120b I think it reports as LS-120?....I question this since bootable devices in BIOS are listed as follows:

floppy disk, hard disk, cd-rom, LS-120

GRAMMAR
(ie. is LS 120 a cd-rom device model or another bootable device?...LS-120 follows a comma separating it from CD-ROM implying two different devices)....is it probable that the wrong firmware has re-programmed the cd-RW unit as another unrecognised model..????

END USER STUPIDITY
I must admit "stupidity liability" for taking the chance since the site expressed the firmware update was not for OEM devices from HP, etc.....I didnt know compaq was owned by HP and hence gambled with the driver....I DID choose LG CD-RW CED 8120B as the required device from a drivers site (after all thats the model name reported by windows device mgr when it picked it up as hardware before the update) hence I assumed it was for the right model....and I knew the unit was not purchased in France as the site also expressed that this driver should not be used with such units. I have tried the compaq driver and since they all seem to be MS DOS based ie. the files must be copied to floppy then comp restarted with floppy to install drivers....there is problem finding target drive and a message to check ATAPI port driver, cables etc...I have literally reseated the drive and connections to ide secondary on m/board...I knew this would be no good as drive worked fine before and hardware had not been touched...by the way compaq are the worst tech support ever...I paid $40 to be told what I already knew...AND I told them all the things I had tried before talking to them....

if anyone needs the everst report to be mailed to them for better diagnosis please let me know and thank you thank you thank you for all your help....y cant tech support with DELL and other OEMS be as efficient and knowledgable as you guys????? sorry for the long winded feedback but I just wanted to make all aware that I have some experience but this is a little out of my depth...you are always learning with Windows no matter how good you think you are!

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 08:57 AM

I question this since bootable devices in BIOS are listed as follows:

floppy disk, hard disk, cd-rom, LS-120

You will find pretty much the same thing in any bios. What this is saying is that these are your choices for your boot device. It does not indicate that these boot devices are actually there and available. An LS-120 is a Zip Drive. That is a drive that can take your data and compress it for archiving purposes mainly. It operates somewhat like a floppy drive in that you can take a Zip cartridge and place it in the drive, copy your data to it, then place another cartrigde in and carry on. 120 indicates the capacity in MB.

What is the model number of your Compaq?

In Everest go to Menu>Click the + beside Storage, highlight Optical Drive then go to report at the top, then Quick Report>Optical Drives>plain text and email me that report if you would like through the link at the bottom of this post.

Edited by Leurgy, 07 May 2005 - 09:07 AM.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:53 AM

I found the correct firmware upgrade for your Presario 5000 5UVME2 Desktop for XP.

Presario Firmware Update for LG CED-8120B CD-RW Drive

All your Drivers and Software are here.

That firmware is an executable that runs silently so you will see no indication that anything happened. Cross your fingers and reboot. Good luck, but I must say if the previous flash destroyed or corrupted the chip then I think you are looking at a new drive.

Edited by Leurgy, 07 May 2005 - 10:01 AM.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:03 AM

In the meesage you sent:

...tried to flash with compaq firmware but it errors and says target drive not found...check atapi port driver, etc.

Based on that result, if nothing is showing to be a problem in Device Manager then that drive is dead.

Sorry for your luck, but I can't think of anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users