Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Dials on its own?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chas0039

chas0039

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:02 PM

Greetings,

I can't figure this one out. Twice now, with no applications running, my computer has just started to dial out unattended. I have Zonealarm, AVG, and nothing else I know of (communication connected) running in the background. Startup Cop showns nothing unusual I can see. Any help as to where I can start would be greatly appreciated.
Windows XP.
Thanks
Still a Few Bugs in the System....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:21 PM

Hello chas0039 and welcome to BC

It sounds like you have some type of Dialer program on your computer. These programs will attempt to connect to long distance premium phone numbers and can lead to astronomical phone bills. Its best to unplug the phone line (if you use dialup) when you are not actually using your computer to avoid these charges until this problem is resolved..

Have ZoneAlarm set to show alerts and have a look at the ZA log for some clues as to what may be going on.

Download, update and run AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. If they find your problem it will be described as a Trojan - Dialer.

Another good program to use for this problem is a-squared.

All three should be a part of regular computer maintenance along with your anti-virus.

Post back and let us know how you make out.

Edited by Leurgy, 06 May 2005 - 05:14 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

Hey there and welcome to BC !!

Yes i agree with Leurgy. Try that and if that dosn't work, post an HJT LOG and our pros from BC will get back to you ASAP !

Good luck with it.

Regards,
Claudio

Edited by Pandy, 07 May 2005 - 10:39 PM.

#4 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:33 PM

You may also want to check your dial up connection settings.

Also if any of your programs are set to Auto-Update this may be what is happening.

As recomended by the others check your logs and run those programs for spyware, it could be that just as well as anything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users