Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application hangs, is released with ctrl-alt-del

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JimR

JimR

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:43 PM

I've got a strange situation with XP sp2. Running an application (ESRI Arcinfo) on one of 4 similarly configured XP boxes, the program hangs at the same point each time (saving data). If I hit ctrl-alt-del and then click either "Cancel" or "Task Manager", the program continues running as if nothing happened. The data appears to be saved correctly.

The problem machine was cloned to set up the three machines which work properly. DEP and Firewall are disabled. The problem occurs whether the data is local or on a network drive.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? The program seems to be pausing until I chose from the dialog which appears with ctrl-alt-delete.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

Can't it possibly be some kind of bug in the program itself?

#3 JimR

JimR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

Absolutely, but the same application runs without issue on the other three machines in the office, leading me to think something is going on with the system setup of the one machine which causes the problem. All four are the same hardware, from the same vendor, delivered the same day. My thinking is that if it was a software bug I would see the same behavior on all 4 machines.

#4 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:55 PM

Oh sorry, I didn't read well.

Have you tried to reinstall?

Xerxes

#5 JimR

JimR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:00 PM

I've re-installed the software, but not the OS. I realize that it might come to that, but I wanted to see if this rang any bells with anyone before having to go through that.

#6 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:14 PM

Has it always been like this or did it start like last week or something?

Is your computer malware/virus/spyware clean?

Are you having any problems with other softwares?

Xerxes

Edited by Xerxes, 06 May 2005 - 02:14 PM.

#7 JimR

JimR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

Has it always been like this or did it start like last week or something?

Is your computer malware/virus/spyware clean?

Are you having any problems with other softwares?

Xerxes

The systems are new, so yes, it's always been like this. I believe the system is clean. NAV is running and the definitions are up to date.

Windows error reporting says:

4/28/2005 6:16 PM Application Hang Fault bucket

4/28/2005 6:16 PM Application Hang Hanging application
arcedit.exe, version 9.0.0.535, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang
address 0x00000000.

Another thing which may or may not make a difference, if I start the task manager using Start > run >taskmgr, the application continues to hang, so it seems that the Ctrl-alt-delete is having some effect on this. Also when starting the task manager from the "run" dialog, the CPU looks fine. Under the applications tab, there are two entries for the DOS window (although there is only one open) from which the application was run, and two entries for the graphics window opened by the app (again, there is only one open).

Thanks for your interest.

#8 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

Hi,

I have never used this program before and I don't have alot of information about it, so I'll just ask a question sometimes and give you some ways to try to fix this problem maybe.

Is this program up to date? I hardly doubt that can be the program as it works in the other computers and it's a problem with this one.

Can it be any other programs running that makes this problem for this program?
Do you have any similiar problems like this on other programs?
Can it be just that it's slow when saving?
Have you tried their support? It's their own product and they know how to handle it, as I'm a complettly stranger to it it will be hard for me to exactly try to find out the problem.

But I'll do my best! :D

Xerxes

#9 JimR

JimR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:25 PM

The software is current. I'm working with their support, but as this is not consistently reproducible, it's hard for them to tell me what's causing the problem. They're continuing to look into it for me, but I'm trying to find some of my own answers. As yet, I haven't had similar problems with other programs, but again, the system is only a week or two old. I don't think that it's a case where it's just taking a long time to save, since the error in my last post shows up in the event viewer.

The program, arcedit, creates many temporary files, so there are many files open by the application for read/write. On the unix version of the program, this application runs into system channel errors which are often remedied by increasing the descriptors (i.e. limit descriptors 128), but I cannot find any reference to a similar setting on Windows (nor do I know if this is even where the problem lies).

Edited by JimR, 06 May 2005 - 04:25 PM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:57 PM

I did a Google search on one of the exe files shown in your error message and came up with the following:

"Why do I receive an illegal operation or application error when working in ArcEdit?

Software: PC ARC/INFO
Version: 4.0
Platform: PC

Cause: NA

Answer:

Illegal operations or application errors may occur when using commands such as DRAW and MAPEXTENT. It can also happen with other Arcedit commands as well. Two new updated files, Arcedit.exe and Arceditt.exe, are available to stop this error from happening. You should replace the Arcedit.exe and Arceditt.exe in the <PC ArcInfo 4.0 installation directory>\Programs directory with the two that you download from this site.

Download the zip file containing Arcedit.exe and Arceditt.exe. - pcarcinfo.zip. (Zipped) WinZip"
http://www.esricanada.com/english/support/...o/pcarcfaq3.asp

Maybe some exploration of their site may help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users