Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any1 Know

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 suites

suites

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:36 AM

Hi,
I just got threw assembling everything back into the computer and it comes up saying" Insert system Disk and then press enter" But I was told that it doesn't need any software installed..So would it be in the cmos settings? or another section?

ty suite[COLOR=green]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:02 PM

Hello suites and welcome to Bleeping Computer

Could you provide a little more information about what you have done? Did you have your computer apart for some reason?

Do you know:
Operating System?
CPU?
Ram?
Motherboard?
Hard Drive (s)?
Cd Drive?
Is this a brand name computer or one you have built?

With that information it will be much easier to figure out how to help you.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 suites

suites
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:07 PM

HI, Its a brand new one and we took it completely apart and put it back together again...It has a simm for memory and it runs windows xp professional .Nope its not a barbone tho It came as an entire package aside from the video card and ram stick. It has a foxconn motherboard and cd-rom/burner in it. Along with a floppy drive of course..lol I need to get this part figured out so I cab go in and partition the drive so any help would be appreciated.

ty suites

#4 GymTeacher

GymTeacher

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:35 PM

Suites:

Let me see if I understand. This was a brand new computer (a clone as opposed to one manufactured by Dell, HP, etc.). without a video card and without any RAM installed. Correct? Then you opened it up to install the card and memory. Correct?

When you first plugged it in and started it up, I assume the card and memory were installed.

Did you first install the memory, then turn on the computer before installing the video card? Sometimes this can cause bootup problems if you first install the new video card. Most motheboard manufacturers recommend first installing the memory, then the video card, but I'm not sure if this is truly necessary.

Could you please provide more information?

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:41 PM

Insert system Disk and then press enter

So do that. :thumbsup:

Turn the machine on, press Del to go into the Bios, set the CD to be the First Boot Device although it sounds like it is, when you get the error, insert your CD and press enter.

Your not getting any errors to indicate that you put it back together wrong, at least not yet so you should be ok.

I don't know if you have done this before but if not, or for someone else who may be reading this, have a look at Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures.

Can I ask why you took it apart?

Sorry GymTeacher, looks like we were posting at the same time.

Edited by Leurgy, 06 May 2005 - 02:46 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 suites

suites
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

Its a new one that everything was taken out of and I built it back up...Plus lergy whats that disk" Whats it called?and yes I have cmos set to cdrom floppr then hddo...It was for a project

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:04 AM

But I was told that it doesn't need any software installed

Are you sure of that?

The disc would be the XP disc.

When you look in the bios, you can look to see that the hard drive has been recognized. It sounds like it has, but you might just as well be sure. Its possible thats the problem.

Edited by Leurgy, 07 May 2005 - 07:07 AM.

#8 suites

suites
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:31 PM

hmm.. I replied again earlier but it didn't show up....I was told by an instructor that no software is needed and thats I am thinking that it may be in the advanced bios settings...Whatcha ya think about that idea?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:26 PM

You say that its a Foxconn mobo. What is the model number?

If you don't need any software then change the first boot device to IDE 0. Does the standard cmos setting show the hard drive?

#10 suites

suites
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:50 PM

661fxmr-es thats thenumber I knew where to look..lol

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:13 PM

The manual on the website doesn't have a whole lot of info but it does say this:

After you finish the setting of jumpers and connect correct cables, power on the system and press <Del> during POST (Power On Self Test) to enter the BIOS Setup Utility. Choose “Load Optimized Defaults” for recommended optimal performance. Please make sure your system components are good enough for optimized defaults.

Under Standard Cmos Features, You should see the hard drive and CD drive listed. Is it there? If not, use the arrow keys to move to the space beside Primary Master and press enter. That should bring it up.

If that doesn't help, make sure you have the hard drive cable in IDE1.

Was this computer booting before you took it apart?

#12 suites

suites
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:43 AM

yes but I also have a problem with the cmos battery bringing up f1 or del to enter cmos instead of going directly into setup. I usually after the first time go change the date and it doesn't happen again until the next cold boot. If its not a bad battery what else would cause this?

Edited by suites, 08 May 2005 - 12:46 AM.

#13 suites

suites
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:21 AM

ok what you told me takes me to the exact problem that I currently have but could something be loose in the cpu or would it be in the settings?..lol I know that the leds are black and white, orage and white on the right side and the left side is green and black...I keep thinking about the ribbons tho could something be wrong with those?

Edited by suites, 08 May 2005 - 01:21 AM.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:09 AM

If its not a bad battery what else would cause this?

Thats the battery. Did it occur to you that a dead battery was purposely put in there by whoever is running this project? :thumbsup: Make sure its not upside down too. The beveled edge should face down.

but could something be loose in the cpu

No. It wouldn't boot so far.

I know that the leds are black and white, orage and white on the right side and the left side is green and black...

I don't understand that. Led's are lights.

I keep thinking about the ribbons tho could something be wrong with those?

Thats very possible. Do you have ribbon cables? If so, one side of the cable has a red stripe. At the hard drive the red stripe must be plugged in so it is to the center of the drive rather than to the edge. Look for pin 1 on the motherboard where the cable plugs in. The red stripe must be to the pin 1 side.

Set the bios to boot from the hard drive rather than the CD if you are sure the hard drive has an OS on it.

Under Standard Cmos Features, You should see the hard drive and CD drive listed. Is it there?

Please answer the questions I'm asking. I'm flying blind here and without those answers we will continue to go around in circles.

Edited by Leurgy, 08 May 2005 - 08:10 AM.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:45 AM

You haven't answered why you took it apart in the first place!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users