Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Died Overnight Without Warning!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 krisdonofrio

krisdonofrio

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:39 AM

Hi guys and gals....this is my first post and I am hoping that somebody may be able to point me in the right direction here.

I own a puzzle system (lots of different types of pieces) that was working fine for me with no issues at all. I usually leave the system on while I go to sleep so I am able to check e-mail any time I wake up. BTW I work nights so i am sleeping during the day when my bosses are sending me mail. Well, one day I wake up and see that the PC is still on, but I have no screen. I decide to turn the PC off and try to turn it back on. The power supply fan starts, the lights come on the desktop, and then that's it. I get no display, no beeps, no nothing. I have power to the CD Rom drives since I can open and close them and see the lights on them. Does that mean my power supply is ok? What are some things I should do to see what failed? I really liked the system and don't want to lose it. This just happened without warning and has kind of thrown a wrench in my daily activities.
Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:51 AM

If your hard drive had died you would still get error messages on the screen. Since you get no display at all it could be your monitor or graphics card. But I'm reading you don't see normal booting activity (Hard Drive LED flickering, beeps, sound of Hard Drive heads seeking) so if that assumption is correct it must be something on the motherboard. If your CDROM works OK your PSU is probably alright but it wouldn't hurt if you can put yours in another machine to test it.

Guessing now - CPU or RAM? Try unplugging your RAM and putting it back only one stick after the other. See if you can get anything up on the screen.

Let us know how you go.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 krisdonofrio

krisdonofrio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:36 PM

Yay!!! It turns out the problem was the video card the entire time. I had a spare desktop sitting in another room of the house, so i decided for fun to swith the video cards. After the other video card was put it and I turned the PC on, I got a picture and normal boot into XP.
Why my card just went without warning, i'm not sure...but at least my PC is working again.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

Glad you fixed it! :thumbsup:

- and thanks for coming back to let us know what happened. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users